Mondeo Diesel Timing advance device

Has anybody got any experience of the 1.8TD Endura DE, fitted in 98 mondeos ?

It suffers with intermittent power loss which appears to be worse on warm up and has erratic fast idle around 1600RPM, I have noticed when the ignition switch is switched on, it doesn't seem to have the rapid clicks before the engine start. Could this be the Timing advance device and if so where is it and how hard is it to change..I just hope it isn't going to lead to a replacement fuel injection pump !

Reply to
Steve