Motorway observations

Have you noticed that when motorway traffic is slow, big arty lorries seem to get ahead. No matter how fast your car, lorries still gets ahead. Don't worry, I have big respect for lorry drivers and the skills it takes. But one thing must be true, that the acceleration is slow and they take up a lot of road space.

However, the driver is sitting in a high position and has good view of the road ahead. Car drivers instinctly give the lorry the space it asks for when indicating, fearing that the lorry will just move over anyway. So why not busses? Busses appears closer to cars in appearance and percieved as more car friendly, whereas lorries looks scary with multiple wheels and sharp ironwork.

Reply to
johannes

This may not be unconnected with your inability to change lanes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

No - it's because they're using the nearside lane which always moves faster (on average) when the speeds are reduced to a crawl. I'm amazed you've only just noticed this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeaah, the right hand lane is nose to tail with reps. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I agree that the nearside lane can be 'the fast lane' when traffic is slow. That's of course part of the explanation. But added to that, lorry drivers have good view of the road ahead and also we give more way to lorries.

Reply to
johannes