My old banger has a small problem

Sorry, mechanical noob here driving a 93 citreon AX 1.1i. Basicly my handbrake is effectively useless, and now I have to press my brake pedal flat to the floor to get the brakes to work.

I am totally new to mechanics so basicly I would like a few suggestions on possible causes and remedies so I can atleast get some idea of what needs doing before I find someone to sort it out.

Reply to
TaKYoN

Self Adjusters on the rear brakes. To confirm, try the following test:

Drive along and pull the handbrake on until you can just feel the handbrake starting to slow the car and let it off a notch from that. Now try the footbrake and if it appears alot better, it's the self adjusters.

Reply to
Conor

- check for seized calipers

- check brake fluid

- check wear in front pads/rear shoes

- check brake linings and brake pipes

Reply to
ABC

If you find the brake pads are ok etc. The AX has an adjustment nut which is right behind the speedo on the engine side. Have someone press the brake pedal and you will see the arm move. This sometimes need adjusting it should start to press the rod as soon as you move the pedal.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

You should adjust at the shoe end first supposing of course that you have non-auto-adjust shoes. That *may* cure the long pedal problem but it may not.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks will try this.

Reply to
TaKYoN

Thanks for all the suggestions, will get someone who has a clue to check these out for me.

This is why I love UseNet.

Reply to
TaKYoN

TaKY> Thanks will try this.

Don't be a student if it works and just drive it like that... paintwork and water leaks and stuff can wait on a car but if you haven't got good brakes then you haven't got long to live...

Reply to
PC Paul

I have no intentions of trying this myself. I have no knowledge in this area and today would be a bad time to try and get some. Brakes I will leave to someone who knows.

Reply to
TaKYoN

We had a couple of these in our family, followed by a 106 which is very similar. The brakes are feeble even when they do work properly, but the rears seem prone to getting built-up crud in the drums. Have a garage strip, clean and reassemble the rear brakes.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable