Need help with diagnostics

A mate of mine (who hasn't got internet access at the moment, hence me posting this message) has just bought a Gendan AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB version - details here:

When he plugs the USB lead into his laptop it comes up with some sort of error message telling him to plug in the lead - even though it is plugged in at both car and laptop ends. He thinks there's some sort of error message regarding COM ports. He was a bit vague because he didn't have it with him when I last saw him.

He's bringing it round on Wednesday for me to try and sort out so have any of you guru's in this ng got any pointers for us as to what's wrong and how to fix it?

Cheers,

John.

Reply to
John

Why doesn't he call the supplier/manufacturer? At £200 a go, if it didn't work as advertised, I'd be calling them pretty quickly. Tell him to note the error message before calling. (It may of course be because the software is configured incorrectly and looking for the device on a serial port?)

JB

Reply to
JB

Cheers JB. I think that he just wants to make sure that it's not something as simple as software configured incorrectly and looking for the device on the serial port and that it is genuinely faulty and not "user error" :o)

John.

Reply to
John

Reply to
Matthew Millichap

Thanks for that Matthew, good suggestion.

John.

Reply to
John

Make sure the correct COM port is configured. The USB device driver will create a 'virtual' port (probably COM3 or 4). Check within Device Manager.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

"John" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Check whether the software has to be loaded before or after the usb bit is stuck in. If it's been done wrong, sometimes you have to go into device manager and get rid of the port as well as uninstalling the software.

Reply to
Tunku

Did it come with software ? - many USB devices need drivers installing

*before* you plug them in for the first time - might be worth checking...

Same used to happen quite often with certain USB modems, but once you've done it it became hard to get it working at all without a reinstall.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

All you need to do is go into the Device Mangler (Windows Key-Break->Hardware->Device Manager) and delete everything under 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers' from the bottom up.

Unplug everything USB first. Hope you haven't got a USB keyboard/mouse ;-)

Then reboot and plug things in one by one. The drivers will still be available to Windows so it will find them when it needs them without you having to find the CDs (luckily).

Make sure you load the drivers for the problem device (scanner, printer, camera, auto diagnostics kit) *before* plugging it in this time!

Reply to
PC Paul

Hi, i've got the gendan kit. after installing the software you should be prompted by windows xp to install cable drivers, these are included in xp, the kit should then work, if it says not found when pressing the connect tab try the comport number change as previously described by others, if all else fails give gendan a call they are extreeeeeemly polite and very very helpful (from personal expierience)and talked me through it over the phone!!!, the kit now works great and does a lot of stuff you'd pay a lot more cash for elsewhere, hope this helps tp

Reply to
ANTONY POWELL