Help vauxhall meriva with error codes U2107, P1614, P1615, P1616 will not start

Hi my Meriva 1.6 has been having problems it started with the battery light coming on intermittently then staying on, the speedo needle would drop to zero then jump back up to speed then back to zero.

car would start but as soon as you stopped you would have to wait about 15 minutes before it would start again NOW I'm afraid to say it wants to start but as soon as it does 2-3 seconds later it dies. got it checked with a diagnostics machine and the codes given to me are U2107, P1614, P1615, P1616 HELP HELP HELP

Reply to
bikerchick6167

(If it's not too late ...) I'd say that sounds very familiar to how our 50K 2004 Meriva 1.6 (8V) went towards the end of 2013.

Very long story (3 months of experiments and eventual 'hardening' of the fault (eg, it wouldn't start at all)), I was able to isolate the cause to the ECU. In my case it was probably one (or more) of the 128 possible connections between the two plugs on the ECU and the ally tracks on the ceramic board.

I was able to prove beyond all reasonable doubt it *was* the ECU because if I heated the ECU with a hot-air-gun (with some cardboard protecting the plugs etc), the car would start instantly, where before it would not start at all from cold (after trying 10 times each morning over a three day period). The fault first appeared by not restarting from warm (but would start from cold or hot and never stopped once started) and like you, had the ignition light up shortly after starting (or restarting) and random temp, rev and speedo instruments (the fuel gauge was always fine). It also sometimes fired up for a couple of seconds, but then died and wouldn't restart. Some Easy-Start suggesting the fuel 'system' was being cut off (immobilised?) as it would try to start at that point on the Easy Start.

I took out the ECU (easy), BCM (easy but fiddly), instruments (easy but fiddly) and key / immobiliser thingy (and key) and over to a place who were able to 're-manufacture' the ECU, and because they also had all the other bits it needed to talk to, I was able to just put the repaired ECU back on and have it work without any re-programming etc.

The repair came with a 2 year guarantee and cost about £240. There are probably cheaper / better options out there but this was the only one I could easily / physically drive to as I didn't want to trust that many expensive components to any courier.

YMMV of course.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It is also possible that I could affect the proceedings by applying pressure onto the loom as it joined either of the ECU plugs. This may have been because me moving the wiring, moved the pins within the plug, that moved the pin within the socket and hence onto the ECU pcb / connectors.

p.p.s. If you would like any specific advice re any of this and would prefer to do so by PM, my email shown here is valid.

Reply to
T i m

Haven't seen you on the linux groups in a while! Have you stopped posting?

Reply to
sctvguy1

Hi mate .... yup, I was wasting too much time getting dragged into all their arrogant elitism and pettyness. ;-(

Now I just get on installing, working on and using Linux as and when I feel like it and / or it suits (I've yet to get a sensible OBD reader working under Linux though, luckily I do have working solutions via Windows and Android). ;-).

Like earlier today, I replaced Solyd on the Mrs PC with Mint 17 Cinnamon as that's what I've just upgraded my BILs PC to and my mates 'mail / hard drive recovery' machine in the PC shop and so it's handy to have an instance here to play on. I also (today) installed XP on a VM on my BIL's Mint because he uses some old but familiar VAT program that won't run in WINE.

'My' current experiment (on Linux / Mint 17) is getting a graphical interface up looking at an APC Back-UPS 500. Using apcupsd is trivially easy on XP and 7 but so far even getting Linux to talk to the UPS is a classic pita ... typing CLI gobdlegook and editing weird files all over the place that I don't normally have rights to (but with the lot of loads of Googling I have done it ... somehow ). I think the graphical interface to apcupsd (gapcmon?) requires 'Apache web server with cgi-bin' (whatever that all is) but I'm working on it as / when I can (she's currently using the PC with W7 ... as I can't get her TV capture card to use the composite video input on Linux).

So, I still don't have the time, interest, aptitude (excuse the pun) or memory to formally try to 'learn Linux', but I seem to be (very) slowly picking up enough via my playing to do most real-world stuff, and that's I care and have ever cared about (with any OS). ;-)

I have now found I actually have a life again! (well, sort-of). ;-)

Cheers, T i m (and please send my regards to both the normals and the nutjobs). ;-)

Reply to
T i m