Nissan drops Primera

I read that Nissan are discontinuing the Primera due to bad sales. Seems that this size of car is disappearing now.

I don't think the new Primera was a great improvement on the older model. Even reliability had deteriorated.

Here's one quote re: the older model:-

The second-generation Nissan Primera (P11) was launched in the autumn of

1996. It is still regarded as one of the best driver's car in the large-medium sector.

Unique in its class, new Primera featured multi-link beam rear suspension with multi-link front suspension. This gave Primera GT a best-in-class lateral grip figure of 0.94g, which is higher than many no compromise sports cars.

Reply to
The Blue Frog

Eh?

So, apart from the Mondeo, Vectra, Passat, A4, 3-series, C-Class, Accord, 406, C5, Saab 9-3, Alfa 159, Subaru Legacy, Mitsubishi Galant, Skoda Superb, Volvo S40, erm, and countless others I've forgotten, there's not many cars of that size around these days?

Reply to
SteveH

The "mass market" brands have suffered greatly with waning sales , mondeo/vectra/406.

These days folks appear to be happier with a bmw/audi/merc for their perceived quality no matter how common/popular they are. (all car makers buy the bits from the same suppliers and "german" cars are often made in the US, Mexico and bread and butter / thought of by some as British cars made in Germany so who knows what is quality any more)

Japanese cars always lead the way in reliability but don't have that "cache" (funnily Primera reliability was one exception - maybe Nissan "learning" from Renault - sadly not the other way around)

The profit seems to be for the "mass" brands (even if they make less cars than BMW 3 series for example) is to find niches e.g Nissans Quashkai

Reply to
lurkio

Maybe it's because the Primera was s**te as it ended? If anybody's driven a few cars of similar size, then a Primera, they will think exactly the same I would have thought. It's really not an enjoyable car to drive, and I personally found it impractical, and badly thought-out. I have no doubt if I owned one, and took care of it appropriately, it would be pristine for a good 10 years with minimal basic servicing; but driving it was a nightmare.

Reply to
David R

I've never driven the last model, but I loved my 51 plate Primera 1.8 Activ. A lovely drive, solid as they come, nice handling, loads of legroom, plenty of grunt and that fantastic gearchange which felt just like a rear wheel drive box. What let the range down IMO was the really shitty diesels which were flat as a fart and barely any more frugal than the petrols.

They had camchains as well, which is fine with me as I loathe camebelts! The only reason I sold it was because it was a bit thirsty on the juice for my purposes. I wish I'd kept it now though considering how little I got for it. They are one of the best secondhand bargains around.

Morse

Reply to
Morse