Noisy tyres

[...]

I would never have believed how much effect tyres can have on an apparent alignment problem until I bought an '03 Focus last year. The front tyres were "Teflon Shite" (tm), and although it ran straight, the steering wheel was as much as 20 degrees off.

I took it to get a full tyre set, and asked them to do the tracking, explaining how far the steering wheel was out. They told me they had checked, and the tracking was spot on; they said the problem was the crap tyres.

I drove away totally disbelieving them, yet within 100 yards, I realised they were right! The steering wheel was dead centre.

I've never experienced that effect in 46 years of motoring; you really can learn something every day.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thus spake Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

It can be similar on motorcycles - if the tyre pressure isn't just right or the tyre is worn and losing its profile, handling can go right out of the window. Every time I get a new set of 'boots' on my bike it feels like it's been reborn.

Reply to
A.Clews