New tyres

OK, I've got more problems now, I think I need new tyres. I checked the pressures etc on my tires today and noticed cracking in the sidewalls of my rear tyres :-(. I got worried when I saw it and went to a tyre place.

The guy at the tyre place said they're old (about 5 years old, been on the car since it was new) and he'd recommend replacing them, but they're not illegal. He had a look at the front tyres though and said one of the front ones needs replacing. The tread had almost completely gone at the edges. He said that it will prevent the water from coming out of the tyres and make it aquaplane (and my car does do this a lot).

Do you think I should replace them and which ones? The rear tyres are almost new apart from the cracks, but the cracks do look dangerous and I don't want any blowouts. I think the front one has been like it since I got the car, but I may be wrong. He told me that the tacking may be out.

I think I may replace all 4, the shop gave me a price for 4 Pirelli P6000's and it would be £191 (fitted etc). Does that sound good? I've read on the internet that the Pirelli P6000's tend to be noisey, is this true? I want some good ones, what tyres would you recommend?

Reply to
Peter

This is for a Cinq. 900, isn't it?

So why would you want a set of top-notch performance tyres?

Get them to put a set of budgets on in the right size - pay no more than £80 a set, fitted.

Reply to
SteveH

The front ones sound illegal. The rear ones sound like they are on the way out. I had back tyres like that (except I din't notice). Got int he car one day and it wasn't steering straight - it had gone flat during the night!.

Replace the lot.

Get the tracking done as a matter of course when you have tyres replaced. Make sure they do it right - if it's not right just drive it straight back there tillit is right, this may take several attemots if my experiences are anything to go by.

Sounds like a bit of a rip. Tyres on a Cinq I'm guessing must be really narrow. In any case I don't think you really need Pirellis. Just get some cheap ones (but not remoulds). I only ever buy Pirelli, Michelin etc if they are on special offer. Usually I get Barum or some other cheap shit and they're fine. Getting the grippiest or hardest wearing tyres isn't important on a little car with a small engine. Just get the cheapest shit they do.

Reply to
Rob

Lol... P6000s on a Cinq.

Reply to
Grunff

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Peter) contains these words:

Aquaplaning is also down to driving style. Provided you're not actually on slicks it's easy to avoid.

Reply to
Guy King

Did it not occur to you that something might be wrong?

Might be worth rotating (ie, swap front and back) your next set of tyres at some point.

Uniroyal Rallye 680s. They're not stupefyingly sticky in the dry, but are fantastic in the wet. If you can make a set aquaplane in whatever width a Sei takes (155?), I'll give you a medal. About £30 each fitted in 165/65/13 in my experience. I'd replace all 4 at once BTW, and get your tracking done. I've had quotes between £10 (bloke with a Dunlop guage in Norwich, which Dave Baker reckon's are the dog's danglies, and he usually knows what's what) and £22 at National with their laser bits and bobs. FWIW, National got my tracking spot on, bloke with the Dunlop gauge didn't alter it because it wasn't out, and he seems to be right.

Reply to
Doki

Why? The big name's cheap brands are usually a lot better than the budget shit and only a few quid extra (Michelin / BF Goodrich, Continental / Uniroyal etc.).

Reply to
Doki

It's a Sei 900 and Peter's a poor stoodent (as am I, but not for much longer! :-)). It isn't like he's going to be putting masses of power onto the road. In short, I don't see the point in wasting money on premium tyres. Even the cheapest crap has to meet relevant safety standards, which will do for what he wants.

You have to admit Pirellis ont hat car would be silly!!

Reply to
Rob

My experience of P6000 on my Rover and on the Volvo have been that they are noisier than Mich Primacy, Toyo T1-S, Conti Sport Contact II, Dunlop SP3000, Mich Energy, Conti Premium Contact.

I would go for Premium Contact - got them on the Zafira at the moment and they are a good allrounder for grip, wear and noise.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oh, by the way - don't forget - if ever replacing just 2 tyres get them on the back, move back to front and the backs won't crack and perish due to being old...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Why not? They're the cheapest fit for my car in mich/pirelly/goodyear/conti premium type brands. And only pennies different from the 2nd tier yoko/toyo/semperit etc.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because P6000 are in the region of £50 - £70 per corner in all sizes, and offer levels of grip way beyond the capabilities of a Cinq/Sei chassis. What's the point of paying that much for a tyre when a budget brand like Kormoran will do the job just as well for a fraction of the cost? - If the OP wants to go with a branded tyre, the lower-spec Pirelli P600 will do the job just as well, and be not much more than half the price of a P6000.

Reply to
SteveH

I prefer the new tyres to go on the driven wheels - ie. rear of the 75 and front of the 155.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh, sorry, it's an 899cc Sei. Same engine and probably the same wheels/tyres though.

Improve handling. They'll do that won't they?

Won't they perform badly?

Reply to
Peter

+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | TROLLS | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Actually, the front one isn't as bad as it sounds, and he did say it's still legal. The cracking is also very small, my parents tell me that they've had a lot worse.

My parents don't want me to. They've told me that they've had some where the metal's come through. Their attitude seems to be wait until it's either not going to get through an MOT, or wait until the car can't be driven any further.

I've heard that these don't last long and I can't imagine they'll handle as well.

Actually, I could get some cheap ones for the back. The current back ones have one 35,000 miles and are still like new (apart from the cracking).

Reply to
Peter

Yup - exactly the same.

No. They'll provide levels of grip way beyond what the chassis will deliver. ie. you'll be paying for performance you never use.

I used 'Cooper' (Avon budgets) on my lowered and mildly breathed on Sporting, which saw some track action a couple of times, and never found them to be a problem. These were £120 a set - in a much chunkier size than yours, too.

They'll be perfectly adequate on that car. I've been using 'Kormoran' budgets at £30 each on the Primera - the only time I found it wanting for grip has been on wet roads when trying to maintain dry road pace. Even then, they slid progressively and controllably. So I wouldn't worry about it on a 900cc Sei.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm still undecided on this one. Evidence would suggest a troll, but at the moment I'm just going for complete numpty.

Reply to
SteveH

Right, that's it.

Definitely a troll.

Reply to
SteveH

Jeez, do your parents also tell you to only wipe your arse every other shit to cut down on toilet paper costs?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan