P100 (Sierra) steering coupling

Not had much luck with the Sierra club forum, so I'll try picking your brains again. The intermediate shaft of the Sierra is the lower section of the steering column which joins the steering rack. It contains a flexible rubber coupling which can't be bought seperately, and the whole part costs about 110 quid. I'm too much of a skinflint for that so am trying to find a cheaper way of replacing just the rubber bit. It's only a disc with 4 holes in, but is fixed with strange rivets instead of nice, sensible bolts. I reckon the rivets could safely be replaced with bolts and nylocs if I could find a flexible coupling of the right size. Anyone have any suggestions? The Vauxhall Carlton one I found in my garage was too big.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

metro cf Bedford

Reply to
mrcheerful

car breakers yard??

Reply to
aussie bongo (*_*)

Yup, there are couple listed very cheaply on Ebay, so I'll buy one to try if I can't find anything else.

Oh ta, I didn't know they had them. Logic would suggest it'd be the same as the Carlton, but it probably isn't.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's a pig to remove. My old one was easy because I'm also replacing the steering rack, but it's not a job I'd relish doing in a scrappy. Also, the P100 shaft is slightly longer than the average Sierra so I'd be lucky to find one. Could be my last resort though...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke