Pressure washing the car

Up at the farm next door they've got a big f*ck-off pressure washer they use for cleaning the tractors and lorries which I can use whenever I want. Not one of your mickey mouse DIY things - I nearly went arse over tit backwards first time I pulled the trigger on the thing a few weeks ago. Living down a farm track the car gets filthy every time I go out in the bloody thing but I'm wondering just how much damage a pressure washer might do to the paint. It sure as hell spruces it up pretty damn quick but I'm wondering if it's also pebble dashing it at the same time.

I do try to sort of wet it down gently from a few feet away before going in close to get it really clean but maybe this makes no odds.

Any opinions or past experience?

Reply to
Dave Baker

regular use will remove paint, get a water fed brush, it is much gentler.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Dave Baker" wrote

On forums I have seen photos where it has got into stone chips and blown areas of varnish off.

Reply to
DavidR

I second that. I once worked for a company that for a short while, where the transport "manager" instructed their van drivers to wash their vehicles ( 6 were brand new) using a Karcher power washer. They obediently did that and when they used the full pressure on the adjustable lance the water pressure took great lumps of paint off every one of the vehicles.

Tthe results of that little instruction were a) the drivers got a bollocking, b) the garage that supplied the new vans refused to remedy the damage under warranty c) the Karcher was never again used for vehicle washing and 'disapeared' a short time later d) the transport manager rapidly obtained his P45 off the owner of the company as a result of his instruction to the drivers (with a few other errors thrown in for good measure).

Reply to
Ormolu

I too have the use of a farn pressure washer. It's also diesel fired and can produce steam. I have peeled paint off with it and learned my lesson! But that was after having a hare dismantled by the fan/alternator belt, the engine compartment was a real mess Turn down the pressure and temperature on paintwork and its OK. Plus its only once a year as part of servicing to clean the engine compartment. Cleans up motor bike alloy engines like new. I guess the basic answer is use with care.

Reply to
Bob Dodds

My washer has stripped off lacquer , dont get to close

Reply to
steve robinson
[...]

+1 :-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

A few years ago I used to regularly use a similar sounding pressure washer on vehicles with high-via stickers on. Kept the nozzle a reasonable distance away from the surface and never even had an issue with the stickers coming off, never mind paint.

In Winter when there was a lot of grit about, the vehicles could end up being washed 6-8 times a day, and even in the summer most got a quick blast at least once a day n

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I once used a very ordinary pressure washer on an Avensis, which has its (probably rubber) bumpers painted to match the rest of the bodywork. Lifted the paint off the bumpers, but struggled to lift the dirt of the the metalwork! Much better results with a water-fed brush, but rather harder work ...

Reply to
Graham J

Its all about reading the instructions that come with the washer, the one i have now has two nozzles it clearly states not to use the one nozzle on vehicles and the other must be used in a certain manner

I usally use my washer to get all the mud off then finish off with a sponge and hose

Reply to
steve robinson

I have a fairly good washer for paths, motor bikes, bicycles, still does not get a car paintwork clean this needs a detergent and a sponge first.

Don't get it too close or it will do damage and take labels off. Crummy paint jobs will lift, good around suspensions, engines.

Spray engine/bay with degreaser let soak and hit it over with the washer.

The main reason I have it is to clean down our paths and get the slim off, using it conserves water usage as these things are economical with a high pressure blast.

Reply to
Rob