R reg Astra fan woes

My mums R reg Astra has recently has a radiator fan that doesn't spin leaking to overheating which is what high lighted it.

I have checked the usual suspects and have found sadly today that the water pump is not pumping.

Its located on the left side of the engine, with fai accessibility, the cambelt cover is bolted right up next to it and the auxillary belt is there aswell.

Is this a job that can be done by an enthusiast ?

It looks straight forward but my concerns are going anywhere near the cambelt and upsetting its timing.

Has anyone done this job or has any advice on tackling it ?

I'm wavering on whether I can attack it alone or should sadly accept defeat and send it to the garage .. hmmm

Reply to
Jacob

You really sure the pump isn't working?

Ease of replacement depends on what engine it is.

cc capacity?

8v or 16v?
Reply to
The Other Mike

on the back of the pump is a pipe, with that removed you can get a long finger or screwdriver on the back of the pump impeller, carefully turn the engine with a spanner and you will feel if the impeller turns. Complete pump failure is extremely unlikely on one of those. Pump changing on vauxhall engines can be problematic for an amateur. It will need a cambelt kit at the same time. With care an enthusiastic amateur could change it as it is one of the simpler types, but I doubt if pump failure is your fault.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Translation: The water pump could not be more difficult to remove if you'd found the engine on a beach after it had been underwater for three years.

Bastard things, sometimes.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

there is a way that avoids all the anger and frustration: remove the hose on the back and find a steel bar that can fit in the hole and comes out above the gearbox, it will be pushing straight onto the back of the pump, a couple of whacks with a copper hammer and the pump is out. I stress though that complete pump failure is not something I have ever seen on that vehicle, leakage yes, failure no.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

From teh front when you take the pipe coming off the water pump nothing is coming out ... so I figured it must be that ? .. although I'm now doubting that hearing its a rare thing.

Reply to
Pete

The pump is at the back of the engine and low down, the pipe at the front comes from the thermostat. If the coolant is cold then nothing should come out of the thermostat pipe (with the engine running) When it is hot then water would come out (with the engine running)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

a failed closed thermostat will cause overheating and since no hot water gets to the radiator the fan will not operate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful