Re: Toyota Carina high oil usage

I drive an N reg Toyota Carina that belongs to the company I

work for. They

bought it from auction last December thinking it was a low

mileage car, but

missed the label on the engine indicating the timing belt was

changed 2

years earlier and at 15,000 miles higher than was shown on the

speedo. Our

suspicion is the true mileage is around 185,000. Since then

its had quite a

bit of work done on it, including replacing the head gasket.

It now uses

lots of oil, around 2 x 4.5 litre cans a month. It seems to

blow out more

smoke when accelerating rather than motorway cruising. As this

isn't normal,

I claim for this oil on my expenses. My concern is is the car

likely to die

on me, they think not and intend to replace it before its MOT

next April. As

the compression has been checked and is OK, the mechanic

thought the oil was

getting past the valve guides. With this level of oil being

burnt is the

engine likely to die on me?

No. Even if it got so bad that the plugs were fouling, the engine would start to run a bit rough, but even so, it's unlikely to pack up altogether. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

What did thay pay for this neglected heap............£200?

Reply to
Me