Redex

Does Redex engine treatement really work, I was thinking of trying it out.

Reply to
nicko.edwards

If you take out the plugs and pour it down the bores as directed. Fook aye! Do this away from built up areas. :-) Adding it to petrol? Don't know.

Reply to
gazzafield

Used to play with that in the 60's. Rev up and squirt it direct into carburettor intake. Loads of spluttering and white smoke. Supposed to remove carbon, free sticky valves, improve compression, increase power, cure ticklish coughs. It's oil, so I wonder what it does to the cat. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Aren't you advertising a new spares site somewhere?

"gazzafield" wrote >

Reply to
R. Murphy

I've always wondered whether the huge clouds of smoke are more due to the Redex being burnt off, rather than any actual removal of carbon. Has anyone done a before and after analysis of valves and cylinder heads?

Reply to
Malc

Got me a car with a carburettor on and no CAT. Found an old bottle of Redex in the shed the other day.

Gonna go out in the country tomorrow, whip the air filter off and do a nostalgic Redex of the old Capri. A couple of mates are coming too - such is the draw of the spectacle of an event such as redexing a 95000 mile Pinto engine.

Reply to
Conor

Just get an old car like mine...no CAT.

Reply to
Conor

No but I used to use neat Redex and a scotchpad on piston crowns to clear off the carbon when I did a head off job.

Reply to
Conor

Don't think it is. As you do it a few times, the smoking drastically reduces.

Reply to
Conor

From my experience of 2 & 4 stroke motorcycles and using redex direct into the cylinder head, leaving it for 24 hours then turning it over to eject the bulk before fitting the plugs and firing it up and feeding yet more through the carbs. When I then removed the head there was little difference re the carbon deposits between the barrels. I still had to chip and scrape off the carbon from the ports. The head / piston crown was never clear of the carbon build up. Similarly the inlet valve stems were not cleared of the build up of unburnt fuel etc and most certainly not as the manufacturers of Redex would like you to think.

Gio.

Reply to
Gio

The long winter evenings must just fly by.

Reply to
PM

ROFL...

Reply to
Conor

I always remember pouring it down the carb on my first car, a 10 year old 82 escort, completely filled the street with smoke! I tried it 6 months after & it never had the same effect. I've tried it on newer cars & never had that effect either. I think this may be because fuel has improved alot over the years, & cars burn fuel more efficiently.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Griffs

I did it with my old landrover just after I bought it and covered the entire village where I lived !!!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I filled the carb with WD40 on my Escort when it refused to start not long after I bought it (first car..)

Lovely 2' high flame popped up from the top when I tried again. Didn't start though...

After a number of other attempts I ended up completely rebuilding the top end - taking the head off and regrinding the valves, new carb diaphragm etc., as much for practice as anything else. Worked well after that.

I have a feeling it was the accelerator pump diaphragm leaking that was the main problem. And soon after that it was written off by a prat in a Datsun

120Y anyway...
Reply to
PC Paul

Analysed it with a certain department you all pay into. It was basically two stroke oil and white spirit - white spirit has a free thingy at the end of it chain that loves carbon, hence the cleaning action. We used it to clean big (6") guns, and it worked well. Hope this gives you some clues! Dave

Reply to
Dave Brook