REDEX - additive

Who makes it and what is in it?

Regards Niels

Reply to
Niels Ulrik Reinwald dgdf

Honeywell:

Thomas

The message from "Niels Ulrik Reinwald dgdf" contains these words:

Not a clue ! It was on sale in Britain during the 60s, 70s and 80s, and then seemed to vanish from the shelves.

It was advertised as an upper-cylinder lubricant, which implies valves.

In those days valves used to wear and burn-out, and it is possible that Red-X went some way to prevent that problem.

With modern engines, valve-burn is hardly a problem and you are vey unlucky if it occurs, so I expect that the old sort of Red-X has had its day.

I think, though I am not certain, that Red-X is now making a lead-replacement supplement for cars that should run on leaded gasoline, where the only fuel available is unleaded. This is no longer an upper-cylinder lubricant, but a lead-replacement product.

Reply to
Gerald L R Stubbs

Great. I got the one on the right for diesel. I just added 50ml to 25L of diesel fuel and engine is much more responsive and less noise and a pingging/thu thu noise is now hardly noticeable. I tried other stuff like some I bought from

but no difference there like this Redex stuff. I'll uses the last Redex in my fuel and see what happens and if improvement I'll get one more bottle and then hit the roads on holiday down to France and Spain. MB is just so great - what a marvoulous car.

Thanks both.

Reply to
news.tele2.dk

Plus it cures, in many cases, the common MB-fault with the gasolinesensors in the tank. I bet there are many of you out there with a 1-5 year old MB that cant get their gauge to go to the max-line when filled up. Adding a bottle of Redex to a full tank of gas solves that problem.

Reply to
thomas

Redex is still around and is available at many filling stations in the UK in snazzy, angular, small and expensive bottles. They make several petrol additive products, as per the Honeywell link earlier. I use the petrol treatment myself from time to time, but so far it has not made any noticeable difference to the car, which is a 500SE, 1990. But then maybe it has stopped it getting any worse but a universal panacea it is not!

I often see boxes of it for sale at car boot sales, so buy a box of 10 bottles for about £10 a box, versus the garage price of £4-5 per bottle. Yes, it is the original stuff, not just something made in someone's sink!

Al

Reply to
Al Bolton

This is a great mental image - thank you :)

300 Essie
Reply to
300 Essie

Is it anything like Marvel Mystery Oil?