Removing water from fuel tank without drainage plug

Can anyone suggest any techniques for removing water from the bottom of a fuel tank? Replacing my fuel filter this weekend made my car idle much better for a bit, but it's started misbehaving again, and I suspect water in the fuel tank may be the cause.

I don't think it's got a drainage plug on the bottom of the tank, and would rather avoid removing the whole tank if I can. Are there any additives available that can help? I've read comments that putting a small amount of meths in the tank can remove the water (not sure quite how), but it sounded a bit dubious to me so I thought I'd ask the experts advice here instead! ;-)

If I was to get a siphon pump, would I be able to put it in through the fill-up hole, right to the bottom of the tank and remove any water like that, on won't that work? (we've got one which works very well for siphoning out the water from a fish-tank, although obviously the fish wouldn't be too happy if I used that!)

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

Also sprach "Ben Harris" :-

I'd fit a fuel filter in the engine bay. Choose a clear one, and position it so that the outflow is uppermost. Then if any water gets along the pipe it'll get separated at the filter and you'll be able to see it. This'll at least confirm whether there's any water in there in the first place before doing anything like hard work.

Reply to
Guy King

remove and clean/dry the tank or put in an additive for water removal

Reply to
mrcheerful

That's a very good idea. I'll do that.

Thanks,

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

But what additive?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Have a look at marine engineering sites, they have various chemicals for removing water from fuel tanks. STP diesel conditioner claims to do the same. One long term problem with water in a diesel tank is a fungal/bactreial build up which clogs tank filters so it's wise to treat it.

I think a water separator filter, as fitted to my tractor would be easy enough to fit. You should be asking yourself how the water is getting into the tank.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

My local car shop sells something that is called something like "Dry fuel" by Wynn's:

Wynn's Dry Fuel is a product suitable for diesel and petrol engines developed to absorb water in the fuel system. PROPERTIES . Absorbs water in the fuel system (tested and inspected by TÜV Rheinland Gruppe according to 2 PfG 956/08.94 and certified). . Protects against rust and corrosion. . Prevents icing in the carburettor and fuel filter. . Provides a better cold start performance. APPLICATIONS . Recommended for all petrol and diesel engines with or without turbocharger. . For motorcycles, mopeds, stationary engines, storage tanks.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I must admit that I haven't looked into how water could be getting in. I'm not 100% sure that it is, but the fact that changing the fuel filter made it better for a bit made me think it could be. It's something that started suddenly, and hasn't got worse - just hasn't gone away! I was guessing it may have come from a bad 'fill-up' from a petrol station. Could such a thing happen, or is there no such thing as 'bad fuel' nowadays?

Thanks for the advice.

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

That sound quite promising. I give some of that a try and see if it makes a difference. Do you know if it's something that works straight away, or will is take a tankful of petrol for it to take effect?

Ben.

Reply to
Ben Harris

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Malc" saying something like:

Methanol. Cheap to buy - bung a litre in the tank.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

With a full tank of fuel of course. IT does work well though - cleared out a Rover with some water in like this once.

Reply to
Chris Street

Are you sure it is not rust in the tank? My VW Polo gave me a bit of trouble trying to sort that out and I had to replace the tank too. pete

Reply to
pete

Water can and does accumulate in the underground fuel tanks at petrol stations. There is a compound that is applied to the tank dip-stick that shows the water level. The outlet of the tank is some distance (about 1ft?) above the floor to prevent water being dispensed.

Reply to
PM

Also sprach "PM" :-

I believe there's also a float valve which should shut off the uptake if it gets as far as water.

Reply to
Guy King