Draining Gas Tank?

I need to drain the tank on my 93 Ford Ranger so I can repair a crack in it (or try to repair it, anyway). It has no drain plug and I haven't had much luck siphoning the gas out. It's a bit less than half full, about

10 gals. Any ideas how to drain it? Can I open the fuel line and let the fuel pump pump it out (connecting a hose to run it into a can)? Maybe connecting a hose to the pressure relief port after removing the valve core?

Thanks...

Reply to
M.M.

You can disconnect the line under the frame at the filter and aim it into a gas can, then jump the fuel pump relay to drain the tank. This operation will take quite a while, but you need to monitor the fuel can to be sure it doesn't overflow -- and as soon as gas stops flowing from the tank you need to kill the pump so it doesn't run dry.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Thanks...I hadn't though about disconnecting it at the filter. Is it necessary to jump the relay...will the pump not run just by turning on the ignition (not starting the engine, of course)?

Reply to
M.M.

will the pump not run just by turning on

Only for about two seconds as a system pressurizing feature. Jumping the relay or powering the fuel pump B+ wire are the two easiest ways to run the pump with the engine off.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Uzytkownik "M.M." napisal w wiadomosci news:IBlSe.7717$ct5.1193@fed1read04...

Reply to
Niezrzeszony

The fuel gets pumped at a pretty high pressure (about 80 PSI), so if you attempt this make sure you have good fittings, otherwise fuel could go everywhere and start one hell of an inferno before you know it. The other option is to drive it until it is almost out of gas, if it is driveable, but I would take another crack at siphoning the gas, perhaps using a different kind of hose to attempt to find the bottom of the tank. It may also be helpful to jack the rear of the truck up a bit to help establish a siphon.

As to the advisability of trying to repair a gas tank, my standard advice would normally be to not bother, and just buy a new tank. I was able to get a new front tank for my '93 F-150 for less than $100, but just about every site I went to searching for your tank came up blank. Maybe it is patent issues, or the fact that the '93 was the first year of a new design and it is essentially the same truck as the Mazda B2300 (Ford and Mazda are partners). Ford also used plastic tanks on many of their models during the late '80s and early '90s. If the tank is made of Polypropylene, it will be almost impossible to repair. If it is steel, temporary repairs might be made with epoxy putty, or lined with a fuel tank coating system such as Kreem.

Reply to
Bruce_Nolte_N3LSY&