Renault 19 warning lamps

Hi all,

I have an issue on my 1995 Renault 19 diesel.

Coming home from work the battery light came on when sat at traffic lights, it went off again when I started moving again but comes on at standstills after 4-5 seconds, I presume this is going to be the alternator on its way out but once I had a different light on as well. It looks like this (O) but the brackets are dashed, it is orange in colour.

I don't have the original book that came with it and the haynes doesn't mention it.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Tim

(Off outside to check charging voltages)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

That's the brake pad wear warning light - get your front brake pads checked.

Reply to
Woof

The message from "Tim Anderson" contains these words:

That last one is a brake warning - pad thickness. If it had had solid lines and a ! in the middle it'd have been fluid or some other critical wotnot.

The alternator light might just be a slipping belt - they usually squeal like stuck pigs but not always.

Reply to
Guy King

Excellent, two replies, both say the same thing I thought "Ah crap, airbag/power steering" I thought that cos it looked a bit like a steering wheel :)

It only came on once and this was at standstill, didn't do it again all the way home (2 miles ish)

So the lights are different on this to all my other cars, they all signified worn pads by flickering the handbrake lamp.

Well, just been outside and looked at it whilst I was checking voltages, The belt "looks" fine, feels a bit plasticy but I've never poked one before :-/ seems nice and tight. It's not squealing and after been left for a bit it still does it. I check the voltages and I get 12.30 with nothing running, 11.60 with full beam, wipers and lower on full & 14.20 with engine on, few revs and full beam, wipers and blowers.

These sound about right to me, maybe a bit high when running?

Bugger, gonna be driving Jo's Montego diesel around till all this is fixed :-O

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I bet the charge light is a loose belt. also check the pads wear indicator cables as you may find some nonce has cut it of at sum point and the bare metal just earthed by chance. i had both side chopped on my old 19 and wasnt impressed. just checked them wen they got noisy as the point in replacing the cable was too much effort and waste of money IMO for what the car was worth

Reply to
William Morrow

The message from "Tim Anderson" contains these words:

No, that's good enough. What's it like when the engine's running with lights and rear heater and so on on.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah...ITS YOUR BLOODY BRAKES.

Reply to
Conor

Thats what I meant, had everything on and it held at 14.20.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Ah well, will check them on Sat

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Brakes indicator.

Reply to
""manx.exile "

I've found that the brake pad wear light comes on briefly then the sensor gets worn off by contact with the disk and the light goes out again.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc