VSC and Check Engine Warning Lights on

After spending over $1,000 on the 30,000 mile service and rear brake service on my 2003 RX 300 just 4 days ago, while I was driving home today the "Check Engine" light and "VSC" light went on. I hoped it was just an electrical glitch and turned off the vehiclle, waited a few minutes, and restarted it. The check engine light came on and didn't go off. The VSC light came on, went off, but then came on and stayed on a few seconds later. The Lexus dealer that did the service is 50 miles away. Could it be related to the service?

Reply to
J Golden

They may have damaged an ABS brake sensor when they were doing the rear brakes. I believe this will trigger the VSC light along with the check engine.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Mercedes kars have the check engine light come on all the time. It costs $90 to turn it off. And if you want to fix it, it costs from $1200 to well over $12,000. So what are you objecting to? Go pay them another $1000 and let them fix it. The emporer needs some more money maybe.

Reply to
mcbrue

Those are some pretty vague assumptions.

Reply to
Nick

Thanks. Lexus Roadside Assistance said that the likely problem was the rear brake repair. The Lexus dealer gave me an appointment this Friday with a loaner. Unfortunately, I have to drive the 50 miles to get there. And this evening I noticed that in doing a repair on the steering column they made a dent in the wood on the steering wheel (though I relally don't care). I really miss the flawless, personal, and believe it or not, reasonably priced service that I got from Infiniti from 1996-2003.

Reply to
J Golden

What the hell are you talking about?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Sounds familiar. When we had our 01 RX 300 serviced about three years ago at 30k; it cost $800 and a rear brake overhaul. I guess the extra $200 is inflation. Sold the RX in June 03 and bought a Honda Pilot. Just had the

30k service -- $300.00 and no brake overhaul.
Reply to
TWW

All this crap is why I never take a car to a dealer but to an independent garage. I can talk to the mechanic, don't need to pay for a "service rep" & someone to wash my car (who does a poor job anyway). The independent mechanic usually lives in my town and does not screw folks.

Reply to
Neal Hudson

But can your independent garage connect to the Lexus' computer to diagnose a problem?

Reply to
J Golden

A scan tool with come up with same code/codes as the dealer will. There is no magic tool the dealer has that an independent doesn't have. HTH.

Reply to
ESmith

Reply to
Beezer

But if you have found the answer what difference does it make how many extra "bells and such" the exotic computers have ? Who do you think pays for the "Service Advisors" and "Car Washes" and "Coffee" and etc ?????? I get to talk with the mechanic directly and discover what was really done and etc. Usually get to pick my car up earlier also :o) neal

Reply to
Neal Hudson

I agree, just had my wife's 03 Rx 300 30k service at an independent. Changed oil, lube front end, flushed and replaced coolant and brake fluids, cleaned the throttle body, and all related vacuum ports, new air filter, rotate tires and replaced all wiper blades, for $356.09 plus tax. By the way the scan tool reads the car's computer.

Reply to
blk knight