Rover 75 Head gasket failure

A relative has been told =A3400 to fix the head gasket. It's the 1.8t one.. I had to ask him if it was worth doing, but that sounds like quite a good price doesn't it ? Is a head gasket failure liable to have damaged the Catalytic converter of the Turbo though ? I wander if they should consider selling it on ASAP ? Also do these cars have the K series engine with the well known fault or were they just unlucky ? I think they like the car quite a lot so they'll probablty keep it any way ! Simon

Reply to
mr p

it is a k series. 400 is too cheap for a good job to be done 600 is more like it, cat or turbo damage is unlikely, but repeated hg failure is.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Having a MGF with the same engine, I was under the impression that it was a faulty head gasket rather than a general problem that causes these failures, the material used for the gasket being too thin. There are modified gaskets available now which, apparently, have fixed the gasket failure fault. Of course, the head will need checking for warping etc, but once that is done, with a new, modified gasket, it should be fine. Another thing with the MGF is oveheating due to low coolant, I dont know if this applies to a 75, but if so, there is an aftermarket coolant level sensor available, which tells you if the cooolant has dropped below a certain level.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

In message , A.Lee writes

I think that the plastic location dowels were a major problem and they have been replaced with steel ones in the modified HG kits.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

A bit more reading on Rover hgs.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I actually have /another/ relative who had a Freelander with a HG failure ! Questionable design if you ask me ;-) Still, they like the car, as I said so lets hope they get a few more miles out if it once it's fixed !

cheers, Simon

Reply to
mr p

mr p gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's a couple of problems with the design, AIUI.

First is that the Freelunch is a relatively big, heavy barge - so has to be thraped relatively hard from the get-go.

Then there's the small cooling system capacity and position of the thermostat on the return from the rad - which means that the block is fairly warm when the 'stat opens, letting cold water in. Instant thermal shock.

Finally, there's BMW cheapening of the original design, moving from steel to plastic locating dowels, which just aren't as effective.

So - yes, there's a design problem, but it's not inherent in the basic K- series. Corking engine.

Reply to
Adrian