rover head gasket

hi, ive got a guy coming to fix the head gasket in a couple of days, he phoned up to ask what the chassis/vin no is, is this normal , thx

Reply to
decoy

In message , decoy writes

Yes, he needs to know exactly what engine you have and when it was built.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Reply to
decoy

The message from "decoy" contains these words:

Of course - how else would he be sure to have exactly the right gasket etc handy and be sure of the correct torques, timings etc? Of course, if you prefer the sort who get half way through the job then announce "Sorry, mate, I've got the wrong bit, I'll be back next Tuesday" then you're welcome!

Are you replacing the cam belt at the same time? Since it'll have to come off to change the gasket it's a good opportunity to replace it.

Reply to
Guy King

when you say hes coming to fix it, i take it he's coming to your house to do it. what rover is it ? as you might know rover's are notoriuos for head gaskets ( K sries), so id get it pressure tested, in case of cracks & skimmed if the thing is ok, i wouldnt just have the thing lifted and a gasket just plonked back on. but if he is doing the pressure test and skim you should be ok.

on another note you might be interested in this

or
you should be able to buy it in yourlocal motor factors, we've used it twice on K series engines with headgaskets gone as the customers were going to scrap them, so we gave it ago & up to now they have been both fine & this was nearly 8 months ago, been very impressed by it, might be worth a shot. reg.

Reply to
kronenburgh

about bloody time, i can post properly, carry on im only talking to meself ;o)

Reply to
reg

i wasn`t intending to change the cambelt as it was changed at 43000 miles and the milage is only 72000 now and funds are a bit stretched, he said to me on the phone that the cambelt would do 60000 miles in between changes, out of interest how much would you expect to pay to fit a new cambelt considering he`s doing the head gasket anyway, the bloke advertises on ebay as an ex rover mechanic with 20 years experience, he said hes going to fit the new improved gasket for me, and can that k seal really fix a head gasket? maybe if i get any more problems in the future i will bung some of that in

Reply to
decoy

skimming he puts that on and takes yours away to be skimmed for the next job

Reply to
decoy

The message from "decoy" contains these words:

However much a cambelt costs - fifteen quid, perhaps.

Reply to
Guy King