Selling to 'webuyanycar' Don't be in a hurry

A neighbour asked me to sell his car (not something I do, but he is my neighbour of nearly 40 years) I put out an advert and sold it after a while, in the meantime, out of idle curiosity I typed it in to webuyanycar, they offered 1,780 (the car is worth close to 3,000) a week later they increased the offer, then increased it again, and again, today the offer is up to 2,240.

So well worth waiting a bit if you intend to sell to them.

Reply to
MrCheerful

How much did *you* sell it for?

Reply to
Roger Mills

2,700, so the latest wbac offer was pretty good.
Reply to
MrCheerful

But don't they reduce the offer when you turn up and they say that the car wasn't in the condition stated?

Reply to
alan_m

It seems the have a system which goes something like this:

Minor mark on paint -ignore

Noticeable damage- a reduction £x per item which varies by degree.

Then they add up an x's.

They they 'scale' the total depending on the age of the car- so a 'ding' on a 5 year old car reduces the value more than a ding on a 10 year old one.

There is also what is, essentially, an admin fee- about £50 as I recall.

Are they a good way to sell a car? Depends on your definition of good- minimal fuss - probably. Best price, probably not. Speedy- yes.

We used them as we wanted to sell quick, to avoid having to tax/insure etc and the offer wasn't too bad, and we had bought the replacement. I can't recall the exact difference between the initial offer and final one but I do remember being more 'upset' by the admin charge to the reduction for condition (after scaling) mustn't have been much.

Reply to
Brian Reay

In this case the car was showroom ready and verifiable 23k miles from new with full service history, all the keys etc. The only reduction is their admin fee, under 5k it is 50 quid.

But the critical part is that their offer increased by 460 quid after a couple of weeks.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Their new USP is to buy your car quickly. They've perhaps sussed that people who desperately want to sell their car quickly will take a hit, and those who aren't, won't.

Reply to
Fredxx

Which is exactly the same as insurance companies do when settling a claim. They know very many people can't hang on for months arguing the toss so offer them a pittance. I've had to argue patiently for anything up to a year to get what I was claiming from an insurance company (but I knew what their little game was from the outset and was expecting a long haul). :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

webuyanycar, great tune btw. Not quite any car...must be under 100k miles, possibly also age limit.

I sold my previus car on ebay, bought another on ebay. 4 years ago.

What a car is worth is what you get, depending how long you want to wait. Hence you can pick up deals on ebay and save time when selling. Cars must be as destribed.

Reply to
johannes

latest offer is 2340, a whole 560 quid above their first offer.

Reply to
MrCheerful

We sold a car with them last year much the same experience a bit of haggling they knocked the price down I got up to walk out as I had had a better offer "elsewhere" matey phoned his manager and the offer was raised to the mythical elsewhere price and then more bodywork inspections i said pay up or we'll f*ck off right now .

They did:)

Easier then dealing with Joe public overall I reckon...

Reply to
tony sayer

Interesting point. I wonder how they compare with prices "in the ring"? Is Glasses Guide still the bible that it once was in the trade?

Reply to
newshound