Don't be gone long . . . .

Had a nasty shock today. I currently have a Land Rover at the other side of Europe waiting for me to transport out a quarter chassis and the MIG after an altercation with a log tractor. It was declared SORN just over a year ago and I came to declare it again today only to be told it was being taken off the register as being 'permanently exported'.

Apparently DVLA have decided to interpret the statute so as to decide your intent for you after twelve months absence it aint British any more . . . I protested that I had no intention of permanently exporting it and its being taken off the register created multiple problems. Insurance, movement, sudden imposition of import tax in the location where statelessness happened etc. I'm in double doo doo as where it is is an ex Soviet area where the law prohibits the registration of a right hand drive vehicle.

I also have two friends presently on expeditions where their itineries mean they will be away for more than a year. To suddenly be presented with a bill for import duties in the many African countries where huge sums are charged could become a real problem for them.

So . . . be warned and if this is likely to affect you kick up a fuss with your MP. I can't believe that Parliament actually meant this it sounds like yet another example of an Agency / Department 'interpreting' for their own convenience.

In the meantime I have a 'stateless vehicle' a likely import tax bill to pay and rather unhelpful, unsympathetic and dismissive public employees who are paid by my taxes reading my mind and telling me it is permanently exported . . .

Expeditioners beware, don't be gone long!

Lurch

Reply to
Lurch

Lurch ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Umm, how did they know it's out of the country?

Reply to
Adrian

You have to declare on the SORN where it is

Reply to
ady

ady ( snipped-for-privacy@all.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, you don't. Not any more.

IIRC, you haven't had to for a while - a couple of years.

Reply to
Adrian