Slow responding Speedometer

Hi,

Renault Clio 1.2 H Reg 80,000 on clock. Fitted with speedometer cable/ not electric.

My speedometer has been sticking/slow to respond recently, If I accelerate from say 30 - 40, it stays where it is then shoots up to the current speed. Hard to say if it happens at higher speeds as I rarely go that fast.

The milometer works fine and there is no needle oscillation.

My first plan of action is to remove the dash/instrument panel and see if the cable rotates easily withut any stress and if so to squirt some oil into the speedo as I think it has probably got gunked up over the years.

Is this the right course of action? I have read that this can cause problems with the needle sticking. Or should I be starting at the engine end?

thanks,

/Heds

Hedley Phillips NRICH Online Maths Project Cambridge University Benet Place Lensfield Road

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

The message from Hedley Phillips contains these words:

It's the cable - you need a new one. Oiling 'em doesn't often work and if it does it doesn't work for long.

Reply to
Guy King