Squealing noise

Just bought a new car from a dealer - a V reg Seat Toledo SE tdi and its been fantastic. 84,000 miles on it but full, main dealer service history. Everything has been absolutely flawless with the exception of one minor problem, quite often when i pull away from a complete standstill, i get a squeeling noise that sounds like its coming from the front n/s. It only happens while i move away, and when i get to more than a few mph it stops. Sometimes there is a feeling of resistance while the noise is happening. There seems to be no way to recreate it, although it does seem to happen more when the engine is cold, and it seems to happen more when moving away up steep hills. Its entirely intermittent though, and its already been into the garage twice, and they couldnt recreate it - I couldnt recreate it with the mechanic in the passenger seat either! I thought it might be the brakes binding, but I understand if a brake was binding, one wheel would be hotter than the others, but they are all lukewarm after a drive. If it wasnt for the occasional feeling of resistance then i'd have thought it would be the fan belt from the noise, but its a relatively new belt and properly tensioned. I've only got 3 months warranty on the car so I want to get it sorted ASAP, so any ideas would be hugely appreciated

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

Power steering belt/ Aircon/ Faulty water pump/alternator bearing.

Reply to
Conor

And the best way to eliminate these would be?

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

Jug of water. Pour water slowly onto each as the engine is running. When it shuts up temporarily, you've got the source.

Reply to
Conor

But the noise ONLY happens when pulling away. Doesnt happen when moving or when revving the engine freely in neutral. Its literally a squeal for a second or two while bringing the clutch up and a slight feeling of resistance when the noise is really loud. It can be fairly quiet or it can be loud enough to turn heads.

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

If it's under warranty why don't you go back to the dealer?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

It has been, as i said in the original post. I left it with them last week and they couldnt recreate it, so i took it back this morning and drove it myself with the mechanic with me. Didnt do it then either.

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

Sounds like the clutch slipping as you pull away.

Reply to
SimonJ

Could be a sticky caliper/pads. It may release itself after going down the road a bit, but be sticky at start up.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Iain Dingsdale" saying something like:

Clutch spigot bearing?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What sort of squeal is it though? The difference between a rubber to metal and metal to metal squeal is quite obvious to people that have a little mechanical knowledge. It could be something as simple as the alternator belt or something more complicated like the clutch thrust bearing. If you suspect rubber to metal then I'd suggest pouring a little cold water onto each belt in question then start car and pull away rapidly. Eventually, you'll narrow it down. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

LOL...isn't it always the case?

Reply to
Conor

If I'm right, and its the clutch slipping causing the squeal, could it be that you were not setting off quite as sharply because you had the mechanic with you? Try a few hard launches, see if that makes the squeal worse. Once you have perfected getting it to squeal every time, go for a ride with the mechanic again!

Reply to
SimonJ

I did think it might be the clutch, so i tried the old test of 40mph, clutch down, full revs and drop it into fifth, but it didnt slip at all. I'm guessing this wouldnt eliminate the chance of it being the clutch? Thinking about it though, it does seem to happen when i pull away harder - ie up a hill or shooting into a junction etc.

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

Interstingly, i've just been for a drive and taking off quite hard didnt seem to provoke it. It did however, make the noise while moving for the first time ive noticed. It happened twice, both while downchanging at exactly the time when the clutch bites. I'm thinking the clutch argument is probably the most likely, the problem now is proving it and convincing the garage that there's a problem!

Reply to
Iain Dingsdale

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Iain Dingsdale" saying something like:

IME, clutch spigot bushes tend to be at their noisiest when cold, the engine heat helping to quieten them down a bit. Of course, as more wear happens the noise becomes a full rattle, irrespective of temperature.

It might be the release bearing though, but you'd tend to get more of a dry rattle from that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon