Steering Wheel shuddering after driving 90+

Hi,

I was doing 90+ in the wife's Ford Fiesta over the bank holiday for approx 1 hour coming back on the motorway. The poor car now has an alarming shudder to the steering wheel when driving at low speeds around town and I have to keep both hands on the wheel to stop it from hitting the curb/oncoming traffic.

I'm definitely going to take it in next week but can anyone advise as to what the most likely damage is?

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
alexrpeters

sounds like a possible knackered tyre to me.

Reply to
Pete M

aye sounds like it has a lump in the tread.

Reply to
reg

Is it dangerous driving around with a lump in the tread?

Reply to
alexrpeters

yes ! not only to your wife, other road users as well if you have an accident.

Reply to
reg

It may blow out at any time. Look at all four tyres. Can you see any lumps, or other abnormalities on them? Move the car 1/2 a tyre rotation, and check again.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Yes.

Reply to
Guy King

Damaged tyre. Look for a bulge somewhere or a flat spotted section.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Have to agree, i had this with an egged sidewall too. 90+ in a fester though, give it a break - its tyres are only T rated (118ish max for 10 mins) so you were getting towards its upper end of safety anyway.

Coyoteboy

But not all Fiestas use T-rated tyres...

Reply to
DervMan

True, true. I was working off the majority (standard spec).

Coyoteboy

For the love of god....

Reply to
Conor

It's difficult to avoid banging your head on the desk isn't it?

Reply to
Malc

Is it dangerous banging your head on the desk :)

Relax, I took it in today. They are back-logged after the Easter break but promised to call me tomorrow. I'll let the group know what the exact cause was.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated, how much do I owe you?

Reply to
alexrpeters

Nowt, you took the jibes and smart arsed remarks in your stride and with a chuckle - rare these days and worthy of a free answer or two :)

Coyoteboy