NoOption5L Remembers and Reminisces

> > The original was built to go racing, not for street duty. It built a

> > > reputation all its own on the premier tracks of the 60's venues. The > > > new one will never do that, either.

> The current Vette and Viper are involved in racing. So you know Ford

> > will have the new GT out there. It's inevitable.

Well, I hope so, but will they be in the same class? A 5.4 with a

> blower (are those things stamina-tested?) against an 8-liter Viper? > Hmm.

As in durability tested? The motor in the GT is one slick piece. The block is only _based_ on the Navigator's 5.4L motor. But the block is MUCH stiffer with 6-bolt main bearings, forged-steel crank, forged-steel connecting rods (Manleys I believe), forged aluminum pistons, and of course new heads. The whole motor is put together by Jack Roush and company. This mill is built like a brick shit house.

> Side note: Chevy is now promising a 500-horsepower version of its > > upcoming C6. Yep, we'll soon have three cars running over 120 mph in > > the quarter right off the showroom floor. Gotta love it!

I'd love it more if I could afford it.

Me too. But, I'm sure the new GT is less expensive than buying a used one. And Chevy for their part offers the most affordable one of the three.

> > > You guys are just too hard to please. But I guess this happens. It > > > > happened in the 60's too. You can see it when you reread the old > > > > magazine road tests. The road testers bitched about all the faults > > > > the old muscle cars had,

> > Not all of them. The ones that did failed to realize that

> > > compromises must be made in a production car in order to please a > > > "majority" of possible consumers, while not pricing the item out of the > > > market. Look how Shelby had to soften up the GT350 after public > > > complaints of harsh rides and unavailable automatics.

> There were complaints about all of them, even the late 60's more luxo

> > versions. CJ, there where some good ones, but NONE of them were > > perfect, just like today's offerings. ALL cars (50s-'00 cars) have > > negatives--design, performance and styling shortcomings... they all > > have them.

No mid-to-late 60's cars had styling flaws.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder often goes for the familiar. That being said, I couldn't think on an ugly one either.

> > Muscle classics have withstood time

> So far, they've only withstood _our_ time. When our generation dies

> > off, and the Fast and Furious crowd and its spawn take over will be > > the true test. In 30 years the FFCers may pass on a '68 CJ or '87 > > 5.0 and instead opt for an '03 EVO. Just like we'd both pass on a > > Packard.

So not so. The original 50's rodders have pretty well bitten the

> dust, but look at the huge numbers of new rods being churned out by > younger generations in both contemporary and traditional styles. Nope, > the charisma inherent to a particular genre of automobile never goes > away. They just wait for someone to to get hooked, and it's 1968 all > over again.

I don't know. I think anyone currently in their 30's has a thing for the old ones, but the under 30 crowd I'm not so sure about. I talk and hang out with a few of these young imports guys and they view a muscle car as just an old out-dated car. Unless it has an OHC engine, multivalves, 5 or 6 gears, IRS, and maybe a turbo it's a relic they can't relate to it. They lust over Ferraris and Porshes, not Hemi cars and Cobras. The over 30 crowd still tends to be old muscle car followers, I think, because they were growing up before the imports really got their strangle hold on the car market. But the guys born in the very late 70's and 80's it's an import world... most won't even consider buying a new "American" car, let alone an old one.

I've said this before, but we have a different audience these days > so I'll say it again: the chances of most of the post-70's cars > physically surviving to become classics is miniscule.

If you reread your old auto magazines, you'll find many people back then that thought the 60's car would never be worth anything. Their reasons were because the 60's cars were "mass-produced" and lined with plastic interiors. Quite unlike the "classic" cars of the 30's and

40's. Shoot, don't you remember hearing when we were growing up that the 60's Mustang would never be worth anything because they built too damn many of them? I do. I heard it a million times.
80's Mustangs and F-Bodies are being marginally supported by the

aftermarket,

50resto.com

but

> virtually everything else is disintegrating and being crushed. No > imports of any kind will be recipients of a supported revival. Take a > real good look around and you will see what I mean.

I remember taking that good look around back in the 70's. My brother and I used to walk the junkyards looking at all the "hot cars" being crushed. One place I vividly remember was just full of rusted out, beat up, 60's Roadrunners, Chargers and Barracudas. Being a young Mopar nut, I'd just sit in them and wonder about how they must have ran and what they would have sounded like. And wondering how anyone could just junk them. I also thought that these were the last of the performance cars. That my generation would never have the chance of walking into a new-car dealership and walking out with a factory muscle car. Then in 1982, the Mustang GT suggested a glimmer of hope. That maybe I'd get a chance. By '87 my wish had come true in the form of certain '87 LX 5.0.

> > because, as I have mentioned a > > > million times here, the styling and driving sensations were more > > > intense, and forever tied to the era of their birth. One only has to > > > see attempts to carry new vehicles to market with heavy retro styling > > > to understand the OEM's realize this, too. BUT, they will continue to > > > have failures like the new T-Bird because they missed on the feel of > > > the car. Everything now is overweight, sound deadened, and packed with > > > creature comforts.

> In a way, we're nearing 1970 all over again... increasing weight

> > offset by increasing horsepower.

Actually, the 60's had a bell curve in that regard. The beginning of

> the decade saw the biggest horsepower engines straining inside two-ton > fullsize cars. Factory drag wars resulted in lighter production > musclecars in the middle of those years. While later years saw the > weight pick up, the engines were not quite as brutal as the early ones. > Tractable torque ruled the late 60's.

Were the early Wedges, 406s and 409s pumping out more than the late

60's Hemis, SS454s, Stage 1 Buicks? And what about the 427 to the 428 CJ?

Besides the factory Super Stocks, the average mid-60's car just kept getting bigger and heavier. The '66-'67 GTOs were heavier than the '64s and '65s. The '66 and '67 Chevelles were bigger than the '64s and '65s. Same story with the Fairlanes too.

> In many regards, I'm much like you on this one. As you know, I too > > like the stripped down feeling. Give me that '65 Shelby GT350, Super > > Stock Dodge, big block Nova, Roadrunner/Super Bee, or an '87 LX 5.0. > The LX is a little out of its league with the other cars in this > paragraph.

Not an LX (un)optioned correctly.

> The more options and padding they have, the less desireable. However, > > IMO, I'd be a fool to not like a 455 Buick GS, '70 GTO Judge, Olds > > 442, or a new GTO, or Cobra Mustang.

Yeah, I've heard that before. But you continue to post news about

> all kinds of new cars.

Because they affect each other, so I think it makes the info relevant in here. If the LS1 gets a boost in HP, you can bet the Cobra's HP is going to go up to counter. If the WRX gets popular you can bet Ford will look into turbocharging the Focus.

> Where we differ is your dividing line of 1973. I don't have a line. > > You seem to look at a new Cobra Mustang and think of it as a rip off > > of the old Cobra Jets.

No, not at all. I have a major problem with the direction styling

> has gone in the past couple decades, what with incredibly bulbous, > stubby back ends and hoods that slope down too radically from the > winshield. This applies to everything, not just the Mustang.

That's because aerodynamics equals horsepower.

> I see the new Cobra Mustang as an > > extension/evolution of the old Cobra Jets. You see blasphamy. I see > > a proud heritage. Not trying to offend... where your party, for the > > most part, is over. Mine hasn't ended.

As long as I have shitloads of cars and draw breath, my party rocks

> on. You don't understand, but I'm glad they don't build cars they way > they used to. It makes the 60's stuff more exclusive.

True enough.

> > > but now years later those old cars are held > > > > up as a sort of gold standard. All I know is I'm not going to be > > > > stupid like those guys were. I'm going to appreciate what we have > > > > right now, because right now we have it GOOD!

> > So you think that 20 years from now anybody is going to care about

> > > your personal opinion? Are you basing your opinion on the perceived > > > miscalls of "real" critics whose work actually made it to print? Sounds > > > like it.

> Here's what I'm saying. This second muscle car generation won't last

> > forever. I don't know when, and I don't know how, but at some point > > it will end. So I'm not going to sit here, and bitch and complain > > about how they're not exactly what I grew up with. No kidding. The > > '70 Judge was nothing like the '64 GTO, and the '71 Boss 351 was > > nothing a '65 289 hipo fastback either. But that doesn't make the > > later first-generation of muscle cars any less cool, does it? That's > > the way I see it with this second generation. Plus, with this > > second-generation of muscle cars, I can drive and appreciate them > > EVERY day. With a first-generation car I'd feel more like a curator. > > And I'm too old to sit and wait for the next sunny day to go for a > > cruise. I'd rather be able twist the key to some late-model muscle > > and relive old memories anytime I want.

Well, if it weren't for the curators, the landmark classics wouldn't

> be around any more.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Somebody has to look after them and preserve them. I'm GLAD there are people protecting the cars from the 70's,

60's, 50's, 40's, etc. History is important! I just don't want to be one of the curators. Not unless one day I hit it big. Then I'll have my new ones parked next to my favorite old ones. '64 GTO/'04 GTO, '65 Shelby/2000 Cobra R, '67 Vette/'04 Z06, 340 Duster/LX 5.0...
The 2nd generation ushered in the era of the disposable car, and more of > these bite the dust every day.

'60's or 90's, they're all mass produced. The days of craftsmans building/laboring over a car were gone way before the '60s.

Anyway, gotta run. I have to go race my Taurus.

You gotta SHO?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

OK, but what are the exact rules for the classes these cars would run in?

And yet none of them intrigue me as much as a sneaky old sedan with dog dishes and a thumper under the hood. Go figure.

Many of the new guys just have no frame of reference. Unless Dad owns muscle, they don't know what they're missing. Fine with me, though. With what the punks these days are doing to their Mitsuyotas, I damn well don't want them touching the classics.

No. The crowd I hung out with in the San Fernando Valley was very pro-muscle. Their future value at the time was irrelevant; it was what the beast would do *right now* that mattered.

Maybe you should look for another one to restore, because with the lower production numbers and poor survival rate, they're going to be like that Packard you mentioned.

Yes. One looking at NHRA factoring and you can see that the early motors are in the higher class ranks (moreso the 7-liter engines than the ones you mentioned). Note the heavier 427 Fairlanes are faster than CJ Mustangs, and 429's of any kind are just not competitive.

Actually, the redesigned '68 GM A-Body intermediates were lighter than the '67's. My '68 4-4-2 is listed as the lightest one built in that era.

Do you really think the '87 will go down in history as a major muscle car like the rest?

Yes, I can see some of that. But, how many people do you think would really pick an import over a domestic (or vice versa) solely based on power? There are so many other factors involved, not the least of which is brand loyalty. Look at the Camaro in recent years. Despite more power and better handling and brakes, the public still bought more Mustangs. Why do you think that is?

And cubic inches trumps aerodynamics. Patrick, in the old days I had a bunch of cars with big engines and bias ply tires with 3-something gears that would easily motor over 130 with no darn overdrive. Just how fast do I need to go? People in this group get into bench racing about

160 or 180 or 200 mile-an-hour cars. I say most of the people doing the daydreaming would wet their diapers anywhere in the triple digits.

Do the OEM's need to go to such great lengths to build wind tunnel babies? Aerodynamics don't really get important until you are way over any legal speed limit in this country. Instead, we have a slew of cars that look like they all came from the same design studio. Except for those damn SUV's. Ugh. I'm waiting for someone to come out with one that is *completely* gray plastic cladding with no painted metal at all.

No, give me something unique even if pulverizes oncoming air into subatomic particles. I want styling. I'm gonna spend more time looking at my car than I am doing 180 on a back highway with the DPS Apache chopper in full pursuit.

Well, I hope you're buying lottery tickets every week, then.

The simpler cars with the heavier sheetmetal will always survive better. Look at all the tri-5 T-Birds and Chevys out there.

No, we run Nascar on the local track on Mondays.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

I have no idea. I don't follow automotive racing. Can't imagine the car not finding a class though.

Since you're driving a PI, thought I'd let you know the Marauder is going to get a reprieve, and an influx of power. Be nice to see it finally get 400 + HP under the hood.

True. Especially since our generation hacked up our share of 60's cars back in the 70's and early eighties--loud paint jobs, after-market hood scoops, High Jacker shocks, fog lights, carpeting in the rear deck, wheels sticking way out of the rear quarter panels, side pipes, decals, etc. You do remember that, right?

Exactly. See above. Our generation hacked up, wrecked, abused, and destroyed tons of these cars because we never thought they'd be worth anything. Then about the time our generation started turning 30 plus we wanted to revisit these cars. That's when their prices started to rise. As we die off, the people who can relate to then will fall, and there's a good chance the prices will too.

The 60's cars survival rate was just as bad, if not worse. You grew up in California. I grew up in Michigan. In the Mid-West & North-East the 60's and 70's cars rotted out QUICK! Frames, whole rear quarter panels, doors, floor boards... most looked like swiss cheese in 5-10 years. I vividly remember seeing those "60's classics" tooling around looking like a rolling wrecks.

I see the Ford 427. But Chevy's 409 pumping out more than a 427 or even a 396? The 413/426 Wedge putting out more a 426 Hemi?

I checked a few of my old road tests. This is what I found:

The '64 Goat's curb weight is listed at 3470. The '68 is listed at

3755. The '64 Olds Cutlass Holiday lists at 3299. The '67 Cutlass at 3684.

As you know, I too

The 5.0s have gotten too much press -- more than any muscle car before it -- for it not to be highly sought after. There's already resto companies popping up. It's biggest problem is going to be on the ongoing horsepower wars. Many people are going to want to get the next greatest thing instead of picking up an old 5.0. If the modern horsepower wars would have ended in say... the mid 90s, or even if they were to end tomorrow the remaining 5.0s would be snapped up. But the longer the war goes on the more chance, I think, the better chance they'll get lost in history.

Personally, I view the 5.0 cars as this generation's GTO. The original GTO started it, and the 5.0 restarted it.

The brand loyalty, the import/domestic thing is rapidly going away. Performance cars are already being chipped away at. The last real stand is pickups, and with Toyota's Tundra and Nissan's Frontier in the market and being produced in the States that's soon going to end too. The World is a changin'.

As for the Camaro, it was its body that did it in... not the Mustang's name. The better car won out. Just like back in the mid/late 70's when the Camaro/Firebird were killing the Mustang.

It isn't cubes, it's the heads/cam. You can have tons of inches but crappy heads and have a poor performing engine. And you can have a little motor with great heads and have a screamer. That's why these modern engines perform so damn well for their size.

Aerodynamics are always a plus. That's why when Ford redid the GT(40) they had to clean up the car's aero. The original car's CD numbers were horrible and the car had tons of lift.

Many of the modern cars run just as fast flat out in 4th as they do in overdrive. Though the 6-speed cars are able to use 5th better than

4th.

Anything above 140 is a little crazy!

mile-an->hour cars. I say most of the people doing the daydreaming would wet their >diapers anywhere in the triple digits.

100 isn't bad, but again, start going over 140 and it gets a little hairy. That's when you start imagining a tire blowing out, a deer jumping into the road, or a cop laying in the weeds ahead.

I don't agree here. My old truck running up to 70 mph was like hitting a wall. I say aero starts helping at about 30-40 mph and really starts helping out at about 70 mph. If you don't think so, try holding a piece of 1'X 1' plywood out the window of a car that's moving at 50 mph. Warning: Better use two hands to hold onto it.

That's the way it goes. Growing up in the 70's I thought most of the new cars were pretty damn ugly. But now when I see an old 70's car, it looks cool because it's so different from the new cars on the road. Same thing will happen in 20 years with the cars from the 90's. In fact, I was recently reading an old road test with four '71 models. A Chevelle and a couple of others. The writers said these cars were "invisible" because their styling was so bland. But now, 30 years later, all those '71 models look pretty damn cool!

I don't pin my hopes on lottery tickets. (In fact, I've never bought one.) I'm pinning it on my kids. I tease my son after he finishes college, becomes rich and famous, that he'll owe me big. Then I drop hints like Hemi car, Viper, 50's hot rod, new Cobra Mustang. It's a shot... hopefully better than the lotto tickets. :-)

Wouldn't that make the 40's cars even better? I don't know... I think it's whatever you grew up admiring that you tend to want again when you get older. For another good two-sided discussion check out the lastest issue of Hot Rod. Read the Cobra Mustang vs WRX STi shootout. Very interesting. Yep, like Dylan sang years ago, "Times are a changin'"...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

No kidding? I wanted a '04 to park next to my '64 Marauder (and of course ditch the PI), but I was bummed by the power-to-weight ratio. Hmm.

Remember it? You better believe it. My GT/CS still has blue hi-lo shag carpet, a red interior light, Cal Custom window cranks, rosewood door panels, "bare foot" gas pedal, and a Wink mirror. Oh yes, and flared rear fenders. The chicks loved my car. It literally got me laid (oh yeah I got stories), but then again I was waaaay better lookin' than any Rice Boy.

It's coming out of a cozy garage in CA to my cozy garage in AZ next month, 30 1/2 years after I bought it.

I see pre-60's iron continuing to rise, so I don't think I can agree with you here. The oldsters have faded, but the newer trend in rodding post-war cars has fired up the demand for those. Also, the 60's era has an incredible support from the aftermarket, and these restored vehicles will be around to affect the youngsters. Except mine. I'm having them all buried with me.

But they were made by the millions. There are still tons around.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have pointed to NHRA. The thing is, if you look at production books, you'll see there were several versions of the

409 and the Wedge and the 421 Pontiac. Most of them on the street were not the killer comp versions. So it's apples and oranges, and it varies from one maker to another. Would I pick a Stage III Wedge over a Street Hemi? Yep. Over a Race Hemi? No. What makes things worse is the "cap" of a 425-horse rating that the OEM's self-imposed, making it impossible to consider real outputs from the top dogs.

For example, the 63-64 427 dual quad engines were rated at 425 horses with the Low Riser heads. Likewise for the '64 High Riser Thunderbolt/AFX 427, which was easily 75-100 hp higher. The 65-66 Medium Riser 427's, which were "almost" as powerful as the High Risers, were still rated at 425 horses. It all gets very confusing after a while.

The only way to really get the right picture is to see the rated factory shipping weights that NHRA uses. I have road tests that are way off from other figures, too.

re to end tomorrow the remaining 5.0s would be snapped up. But

I agree.

I don't give the '64 GTO so much credit for anything. "Everyone" made cars the three previous years at least that could chew up and spit out the new Goat (even Pontiac's own Super Duty Catalina/Ventura).

Of more significance, IMO, were the F-code supercharged '57 Fairlanes and T-Birds and the late 50's multi-carbed Chrysler Hemis. I think these were the first to really bring forth the idea of buying a hot car straight from the dealer, instead of throwing speed parts at a lo-po mill. I think those cars shoved the factories into the R&D resulting in the one-upmanship of the 60's power wars.

But yes, I think the '82 GT resurrected what Americans always yearn for.

Not for me. The World stopped in '73. Except for 80's music.

Apples and oranges back then. Ford messed up.

None of my cars I mentioned below had big cams or ported heads. My '67 Cyclone hardtop did 135 with stock 390 heads on a 410 with a .500" lift Sig Erson hydraulic, C6 auto, 3.25 gears. And that was on a city street at 2 am (I was bored).

There's one major thing that needs to be considered. Ford designed the FE to be its performance flagship. Unlike the Y-block, which was finished at 317 inches, the FE architecture allowed for progressive displacement increases 100 inches over the 332 starting point. The heads were designed to likewise feed this range. The 221-302 small block was never designed to be a killer in a world full of big bruisers. They were to be basic, lightweight transportation. All you need to do is look at the two heads to see what I'm getting at.

"tons of inches and crappy heads"? Not from Ford.

That's because they are not big enough to pull the gear drop at speed. Remember old Nascar? Big blocks with lousy aerodynamics running over 200 mph with no overdrive?

Yep.

I'd be more worried, around here, about hitting a rabbit at speed than a cop who ain't gonna catch you going that fast any way.

Holy crap, when did we start talking about trucks? You think a Torino and a truck have the same cg?

Times are always a-changin', Patrick. The way I see it, you pick your slot and live in it. Nobody says you have to keep on top of the latest stuff to be a hip member of society. If it doesn't interest me, I ignore it.

I see you clipped the Nascar track thing. That would be 1/24th scale hardbody racing.

Gotta go! See you wherever.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet