Sunroof on Laguna stuck open!! Help!

Subject says it all - I have a serious problem with my 1998(?) Renault Laguna 2.0RT in that I opened the electric sunroof yesterday and it now refuses to close. Not a great situation to be in during the depths of winter, and because the car isn't garaged!

When I press the activator (in either direction, into 'tilt' or 'slide' mode, nothing happens, no sound at all. I immediately thought of a blown fuse, but checked that and it's OK? Any ideas? Where do I start to look for problems?

Whereabouts is the motor going to be hidden, assuming I need access to that - will I need to yank off all the internal roof upholstery (urgh)?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Renault

and it

the

or

thought

Where do I

access to

upholstery

Have you looked in the manual ? Every car I've owned with an electric sunroof, has provided details in the manual for closing it manually, in the event of an electrical failure. Closing it will remove the urgency to find the problem. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks Mike.

No, I hadn't I must admit, and you just got my hopes up (and yes, all I want to do right now is get the damned thing closed!). But evidently you've never owned a Laguna, because the manual has no such instructions. :-(

One thing it does mention is an infrared system which stops the sunroof from trapping people's heads etc, but only available on certain models which have remote window closing (mine doesn't). You reset the system by pressing the 'close' button for >1 sec; tried this for luck anyway, but to no avail.

What sort of methods have you seen for closing a sunroof manually? Have just had a poke around and I can't see anything obvious to tweak

- and the whole thing feels locked solid (as it should, of course).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Usually the motor has a hole to take a handle (nominally provided) that lets you crank the mechanism manually. If the motor's in the roof space[1] the panel under it (where you'd traditionally have the winder on a mechanical system) should be removable.

Reply to
Scott M

I'd phone a dealer before it starts piddling down, matey!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Normally, where the sunroof switches are, on the roof, is a big plastic housing.

If you remove this, there'll be a nut or something that you can turn (connected to the motor), which allows you to "emulate" having the motor running, by turning it with a spanner or something.

This'll let you close the roof in the absence of power.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

There may be a relay to control the motor, it may be blown or just stuck, if it is the latter, a gentle tap may release it. The relays are normally by the fusebox, but i am not sure on a Laguna (maybe behind the glove compartment).

Andy

Reply to
Andy M Lee

Phew - found it! There's a small Allen socket which did the trick. (No winder or anything, and no mention of it in the user's manual. Thanks for nothing, Renault...)

Many thanks for the help everyone! David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Lobster writes

I think you will find that if you remove the two screws that hold the map light in and remove the cover you will find that there is a place for an allen key to be put and if you turn anticlockwise it will shut but be aware it might be quite stiff. Well this is what it says for the senic so with luck will apply to yours

Reply to
Mike Jakob