Taking the p...

...etrol out of an old car. ;-)

I'm in the slightly frustrating position of having a SORNed car (that's probably going to the scrappy) with a full tank of fuel and another car with an empty tank. Obvious answer is to transfer from one to the other but I haven't yet found an easy way of extrating the fuel. The donor is an old Micra and it seems to be fitted with some sort of antisyphon device (I can't get a tube down to the tank).

I thought I might be able to get it to pump itself out by disconnecting the fuel line after the filter but the ECU cuts the pump out after about 5 seconds and then takes another 5 to reset so it's a frustrating on/off process (and pretty slow).

There must be a better way. Any suggestions? I'd rather not craw beneath the car and cut fuel lines etc. if at all possible.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Is the filler tube between the filler cap and the tank accessible ...does it run through the boot ? I was wondering if there might be a tube connecting the two that could be removed but perhaps they don't do it that way nowadays ....thinking back to a couple of occasions when I removed a tank from older cars I had .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Bridge the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Angle Grinder to cut a hole in bottom of the tank with suitable containers beneath ( angle grinder is a running joke in uk.d-i-y)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

In message , Usenet Nutter writes

That would work, the damp petrol would douse the sparks. Maybe...

Reply to
Gordon H

Reply to
Chris Bartram

just knock a hole in the tank and let the fuel fall out, a pozidrive screwdriver and suitable hammer will do it in a moment

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On some cars the tanks sender unit is accessible through a panel under the back seat. Be worth having a look, remove sender and siphon from there.

Regards,

Reply to
Ask me another

In message , Tim writes

Two thin tubes, feed one down into tank the other just into the filler neck, block filler neck with rag, apply air pressure to neck tube from spare tire whilst catching resulting flow of fuel from tank tube in petrol can. Alternatively, disconnect fuel filter, take loose fuel pipe into petrol can, bypass fuel pump relay and pump away merrily.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

If tank is under boot floor then it's at top of tank only fuel in filler will spill.

If tank is under seat the sender/pump access is lower than top of tank. If it's really full that will spill over 1 gall of fuel.

Reply to
Peter Hill

It may have a drain bolt. My '89 SX has, '91 don't.

Loctate the fuel pump relay, pull it out. Bridge the two switch terminals (relay has circuit marked on top and pin nos next to pins). Blue or Green relay it's the pins that are set closest together. Will take around 1/2 hour.

Reply to
Peter Hill