Tesco jump leads - any good?

Go for the 'Heavy Duty' ones that halfords do.

25mm sq. cable, 3 metres long, and a nice tuff box to store 'em in. Mine are in a grey box, but I'm fairly certain that the newest HD ones are in a dark blue box.

Start diesels without any worries with them! Not bad for price either, I think about 20 quid if my memory serves me correctly.

Emergency kit is one are where you don't want to skimp. If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere in the pissing rain, your £8 Tescos leads might be the last straw!!!

:)

Incidentally, anyone seen any jump leads better than the Halfords HD ones?

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

The message from "Alan Dempster" contains these words:

Really? I'd have thought perhaps 25 square millimeters, but not 25 millimeters squared!

Reply to
Guy King

Which side do you connect the blue & white lead to?

Reply to
Martin

Thus spaketh Guy King:

In imperial it would be square something, such as 2 square inches, but metric is always something squared such as 25mm squared.

Maybe they couldn't find the ² - 25mm² means 25mm squared.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

The message from "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" contains these words:

I think you're missing the point.

25mm square is thicker than my thumb. 25 square mm is about 8mm diameter

- which sound nearer the mark.

Reply to
Guy King

a 10 mm square is *not* 10 mm². It's 100mm².

Reply to
PC Paul

Yes. My home-made ones based on the 40mm2 Extra Flexible cable from here:

some of their 300A croc-clips from here:
They start anything you try, without even getting mildly warm!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

Either, as long as its same both ends ;-)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

I have a feeling that the Tesco leads may be like this.

Here is a picture of some similar-looking leads.

(1)

(2)

WM

Maybe very good but not wonderfully cheap even though you make them up yourself:

300A clips (BC300) = £4.01 x 4 metres cable (ref 315) = £3.86 x 3 P & P = £6.50
Reply to
WM

I never said cheap! You'll need 3m of each colour cable as it's supplied per colour....

Having been caught out by cheap 'n' nasty cables in the past I made these up to be beyond anything I was ever likely to need to start [1], and made far longer than standard cables too. Being 40mm2 the voltage drop over the cable length was small enough not to be a problem, but with a smaller guage cable it would have been.

[1] I've melted a few sets of "normal halfords spec" jump leads turning over Jag V12 lumps after they've been sitting for a while in the past, so never again!

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

It means 25 square millimetres (also written 25mm^2) - 25mm squared=20 would be 25mm x 25mm =3D 625 square millimeters

Reply to
Rob Morley

He knows that - why are you telling him?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Is it heck as like[1].

[1] Famous saying from the North of England.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.octanews.com, WM wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

If they're anything like any of the other cheap jump leads available, they'll be s**te.

I bought mine for around £15.00 from the local olde worlde motor factors.

They're huge, heavy, have big metal clamps with rubber insulated handles, and I suspect could be used to jumpstart small Wales on a frosty morning. I suspect the chappie in the motor factors has made them himself as they're

*proper* jump leads. Like the ones proper garages have. The ones they never lend out - to anyone, ever.

My local friendly RAC man lusts after them...

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org, Pete M wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

Post corrected.

Reply to
Pete M

Ooh look. the same original comment you snipped from my post. And the same explanation I gave, which *you* complained about.

Fancy that!

Reply to
PC Paul

I didn't snip anything from your post. Nor did I copy anything which=20 you wrote. I replied to {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, you replied to Guy King - do=20 you understand how threading works?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Perfectly thanks. Never mind.

Reply to