Thermostat or Blocked Radiator ?

Hello,

I have an intermittant cooling/heating problem in my 2.4 JTD Engine in my Marea.

Occasionally the temp rises higher than usual, and on inspection, the right hand side (input) to the radiator is hot, but the Left side is cold.

A friend says he thinks it is the thermostat sticking closed (but the hot water wouldn't reach the rad then would it ?). I lean towards a blocked radiator. The fans obviously don't start either. Squeezing the pipes on each end of the rad usually seems to clear it, and the water starts circulating again coming out hot on the LHS. The coolant in the expansion tank is still as clean as the day it was put in, and no crud/rust in it. Also, if it were the thermostat, where would I find it - A likely place seems to be on the LHS of the engine almost opposite the battery ??

Time to get the hose out I think to start with.

Thanks for your time.

Graham

PS - Could it be anything else ?

Reply to
Graham

If squeezing the hose fixes it, I'd be inclined to think it could be an air lock. If the system has bleed points, try that.

Reply to
Taz

Massive air lock. If it is then the question would be how it got in there - could be a headgasket on its way out, could be a loose hose connection somewhere. Have you had to top up the cooling system at all recently?

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

could even be a pump impeller come adrift too, due to the consequences if you cook your motor, it might be worth getting it checked out properly

Reply to
Spark

Pump impeller is a very likely suspect - good thought.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Wouldn't that cause a permanent fault, and not just intermittantly ?

Had the rad bleed screw off yesterday, and no air in system (that I could find).

Called a fiat garage, and apparently the thermostat comes as part of the housing so it's £42 + vat.

?

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Presumably you've tried GSFcarparts & eurocarparts?

Reply to
Duncanwood

Not yet - just phoned up on the offchance to see how much.

Just got to find it on the engine now - Not too much space in there !

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Have you checked both expansion tank and radiator? Does the rad have a fitting that says "DO NOT REMOVE"? That will be the radiator cap. Common on French Lemons and other PSA cars. When stone cold remove it. You will then need a bottle and some tape. Wedge the bottle in the hole and tape it in. Fill bottle and open bleed(s), usually one near stat and one on heater hose (the best cars hide this one round the back under manifold). You need to keep the water level in the bottle about 6 inches above the rad to get it to fill and bleed fully.

Reply to
Peter Hill