Universal simulator

Anybody know what this thing is? It's a small black box with a multiplug coming from it and spliced into the car wiring loom (I can't be bothered to trace which wires it's spliced to exactly). There's a sticker on the front which has 4-injector, 6-injector and 8-injector tick boxes - naturally on my engine the 4-cylinder one is ticked.

If you've got broadband then take a look at the photos (170-230KB each):

&
I've no idea what it does but if I disconnect it the engine cuts out. It's definitely *not* a Rover original fit!

There is also evidence of a circular hole about 3" diameter in the LH rear quarter panel which has since been filled and resprayed (badly). I suspect this engine may have had an LPG kit fitted at some point and then removed. My question is; if it was part of some LPG kit what does it do? Also, why does my engine cut out with it disconnected???

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

you could try uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Its an injector emulator. When the car is switched over to LPG, it disconnects the injectors while fooling the ecu into thinking the injectors are still connected. If you wish to remove it, you need to find out where it has been spliced into the injector wiring, remove its wiring and rejoin the original wiring.

Reply to
SimonJ

I thought that might be the case, though I'm puzzled why it'd still need to be connected for the engine to run now there is no LPG kit. Would there be any performance/economy advantages in removing it and reconnecting the loom as per spec, or is it not worth the effort?

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Good idea. I'd forgot to check for other NGs which might be relevant.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

There's a bunch of them on the 800 group with lpg, especially see bernard, he works with it.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Because when it is installed, the wires to the injectors are cut, and only joined up again by the device. disconect the device and the injectors are disconected.

No.

Reply to
SimonJ