Unmarked Police Cars (OT)

Thus spake Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Perhaps, but if you are a regular poster or lurker in a newsgroup, and you've become familiar with other regulars - i.e. you feel comfortable or established in that group - I think it's quite OK to post an OT message, provided that it's clearly marked as such, as the OP's message was. I found the OP's query quite interesting.

Reply to
A.Clews

In message , snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk writes

And I did feel comfortable until very recently. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk wrote

I suppose I could be anal and suggest the subject line be preceded by the "OT", and in square brackets, thus - [OT], rather than at the end, so it really stands out.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

In message , Roger Hunt writes

Thank you for your input, I'll bear that in mind. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H wrote

Thank you for your thank you.

I think it is one of these informal conventions of Usenet, but on Usenet nothing is compulsory (but possibly a pain in the arse for some). All in all, Usenet is a wonderful example of how a system of anarchy can work and thrive, and effectively c*ck a snoot at those who may wish to channel us into their idea of worthwhile activity.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Oh brilliant, so now instead of one OT thread, we have two. Like to try any other combinations while you're at it?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It's still one thread. Does Thunderbird split the thread automatically if the subject line changes?

Reply to
Roger Hunt

No. I use Thunderbird and it is all in one thread.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Ah, sorry Roger, I had my views set to unthreaded, then sorted by subject, which made it look like separate threads.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Mystery solved! (Mind you, I am contributing to a still off-topic thread but at least it is contained.) :-)

Reply to
Roger Hunt

yeeeeugh

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Angus Manwaring wrote

Yeah - a bottom-heavy article sags until it is 1200 lines long (unless contained by the well-timed snip). Then along comes the top-poster and all Hell breaks loose.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

On 04-Sep-09 10:02:22, Roger Hunt said

There is some research that suggests it may be spread by bottom-posting.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

I've put thought to what I did - changing the subject line -, and while the thread was notionally still single, it was for you, on your news client, a reality of two irritating OT threads. I never considered that another client might show things differently to mine, and have maybe learnt something there - not to fiddle with things unnecessarily ...

Cheers

Reply to
Roger Hunt

My newsreader can cope with changed subject lines, how about yours?

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Angus Manwaring writes

Now I *really* need to apologise for starting this thread...

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Roger Hunt writes

A car enthusiast not fiddling with things unnecessarily? I started with the mixture screw, IIRC.

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H wrote

I used to play with old British bikes, with bits occasionally falling off in the fast lane of the A3 (to the excitement of the car behind), but nowadays the joys of suffocating myself with old oil and petrol fumes while skinning my knuckles on a red hot component, are not as prominent in my life.

Let's just open up these inlet ports a little bit ...

Reply to
Roger Hunt

Gordon H wrote

Yea - but we use Turnpike, which is in a different dimension of Class News clients.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

In message , Roger Hunt writes

Quite so.