Are chrome cars illegal?

I ask cus I saw a picture of a new A8 chromed and got me thinking, surely the reflections would be unreal..????

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

f*ck me, thats insane, I want that audi, that paint is gorgeous!!

Reply to
Theo

In news:cijuh2$2ti$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk, REMUS decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Paddle clutch is a clutch that instead of being circular in shape is more x shaped, the bits that are at the outer side of the x look like little paddles.

I had one in my second Integrale, totally and utterly impractical to drive on the road with. On / Off action to them with a very very sharp bite. Horrible bloody thing, destroyed a few driveshafts with it.

Reply to
Pete M

Aren't they supposed to be better for higher power figures though? At least that's what I've just read. A guy used a paddle clutch for street racing and instead of dropping the clutch on go, he put a little revs on put the hand brake on changed into first, used the foot brake, released the hand brake and just dropped the foot brake on go and got better starts, but it isn't advised. The article was in one of my old max power issues on the LA street racing scene.

Reply to
REMUS

I doubt that procedure very much: as Pete says a paddle clutch is on/off which makes them hard on the transmission. Driving smoothy away from a stop is quite a task. Once you are rolling it is OK.

On the bonus side is that their rotational mass is a lot lower than the conventional clutch and they create less heat in the flywheel. The on/off pickup also gives better acceleration.

I have one (along with a lighter flywheel) on a 4x4 cosworth. The car has 350 HP at the wheels and destroyed the standard clutch in about 500 km. I have no problems with it but at the annual MOT-inspection the car is driven over the teststations for brakes and suspension by a MOT-officer. Last time he stalled the car 8 times...

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Is it really chromed or is it just polished and lacquered Aluminium, like the Jaguar XJ show car (which IIRC wasn't lacquered and scratched too easy)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@itspambot.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Don't you mean Fat makes you Lager?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Just found the press release, it's in German and Google translate makes a bigger mess of it, so here for those who speak German maybe someone could summarise it?

Tim S Kemp

The Jag is an aluminium monococque. A first for a proper production car IIRC. The Audi is aluminium hung on a steel frame or something, because the Germans aren't quite as handy as us ;).

Reply to
Doki

They'll be lighter, as Tom said, but AFAIK the reason for the paddle shape is to allow the friction material to expand as it heats, and contract as it cools again without warping.

Reply to
Doki

bleh? erm... no I think... : P

Reply to
REMUS

Babelfish does an OK job - special chrome paint that took 800 hours and just about fifty thousand quid to do:

The Hingucker in Dubai: an AUDI A8, polishes and to 100 per cent chrome-shining. Sheikh were totally inspired. MTM (engine technology Mayer) from Wettstetten, admits a brightly polished AUDI Luxuslimouesine for unusual and above all leis tungsstarke solutions automo of biler ideas, issued recently on the Dubai engine Show. With overwhelming echo. A second A8 was given in order, the first - by the MTMImporteur "prestige Cars" in Abu Dabi actually for its Showroom ordered - changed immediately into the possession of the royal family, when Ge give. The MTM-A8 looks naturally not only good, it is also properly motorized. the engine which is based on the

4,2-Liter-V8 sets 450 HP free - thanks compressor loading. The car thront on the exclusive 19 tariff Bimoto rims, which work owing to the SLC coating in such a way specified chromium-plated like also the plastic attachments such as front and tail apron, Spie gel housings, Seitenschweller or gas cap. These parts are painted complex in chrome effect and covered finally with a clear lacquer. The working on steps are secret, since the procedure is totally new. It admits is - also the MTMSpezialisten, which let the parts work on at an outside firm - only that the chrome effect is caused by a chemical silver applied by spraying technology and a dyed clear lacquer a gelbstich helps to avoid. Before the vehicle in the gloss lit up, MTM had to disarm in 800 working hours the vehicle, the body entlacken and clean, deep-drawing traces of the body rebore, the body then high polish-polish - partly with 2000er-Schleifpapier-und finally clear-painted. The costs of this time-consuming manual work amount according to MTM to proud 78,000 euro. The chassis of the so far unique AUDI was modified in Wettstetten, it permits the programming of speed-dependent heights. A aerodynamics package provides for more drift at front and rear axle. Special wishes of its importer from Dubai after special entrance borders, dezentem front and tail spoiler, sportier steering wheel or also Interieursfeinheiten MTM followed naturally gladly.
Reply to
Grant

Nope.

Agreed about the Krauts but the Japs were and a lot earlier too.

The car of that model, production number 1000, is standing in my garage.

:)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Says they are a special silver based paint with a special clear laquer top coat. Shame they could have had a can of chrome paint from Halfords. Thought the plastics industry had vapour deposition of metals to make chrome plated plastic down to a fine art these days would have been the cheapest way of putting chome on the car.

Peter Hill

It's nether it's very expensive paint.and I want it. It's a very intensive process to get it spot on.

Ronny how could you miss this one?

Depresion

Possibly even cooler:

Depresion

The NSX isn't exactly mass production though. And sells at a loss.

Reply to
Doki

not that bad really

had one in the RST a while ago bit of getting used to but perfectly useable if a bit heavy :)

try driving a mondeo with a fooked clutch cylinder for a year paddle clutch in the nova seems lovely compared to that :)

Reply to
SkyTech

Ok maybe not that intensive:

Depresion

In article , peter.usenet1 @nospam.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

So, who will be first with a Chrome Smart car then?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo