Volvo 740 Fuel Problems...

A friends dad has a G plate 2.3 four pot, carb fed, petrol Volvo 740 estate.

Recently it developed a problem that initially meant the car would pack up after a couple of miles, and now it has refused to start at all.

He's checked the plugs, and even after it's been turned over for quite sometime, they still remain dry, so current thinking is a fuel problem.

The carb was replaced at fair cost with a new one last year.

So... apparently it has both mechanical and electrical fuel pumps - is there a known issue with either, or is it simply a case of trial and error until we suss which one is at fault.

TIA for any advice received.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The common problem on these is the distributor hall effect sensor, gives your symptoms exactly. To eliminate the fuel question just pour a large spoonful of petrol straight into the inlet and try to start with a fair bit of throttle, if it tries to start and run for a few moments then fuel is your problem.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Excellent advice.

Many thanks... I'll let you know how I get on. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

On the carb engines, there is only a mechanical pump, no leccie one, there is a fuel pressure reg mounted next to the carb though- its a white cylinder. Check there is a good blue spark at the plugs first. If so, then this rules out problems with low and high tension. If no spark, then check the wiring to the hall sensor on the bell housing and the white (now superseeded by a black one) ignition relay by the battery. Incidentally if you have power at the coil yet no spark and the hall sensor looks suspect, the new improved ones have a white band in the cable.

If ignition looks fine then pull off the feed to the carb and crank it over looking for a goodly spurt of fuel. If dry then the pump has died.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..