Handbrake adjust Nissan Micra 1.0 G Plate 89

Could someone please offer some advice on adjusting handbrake on my Nissan

Cable adjustment has reached full limit.

Mot bloke said, i should take the drums off as the adjusters are probably siezed.

I have the Haynes Manual showing how to dismantle and replace the brakes etc. .... but how far to go..

Questions

If all is in good nick apart from adjusters siezing, will slacking off the cable allow the adjusters to free themselves ?

Will they need some sort of freeing oil on them ?

Can you just replace the adjuster on its own ?

Any advice appreciated BTIA Capstick.

Reply to
Capstick

These adjuster often stick, the usual cause though is that there is slight stiffness in the handbrake cable so that it cannot fully return. First thing is to slacken off the cable, then remove the drums and inspect and clean. Make sure that the cable allows the shoes to move fully back. If so then you can wind up the adjusters, I can't remember off hand the exact type, but I know it was an easy one. Then reassemble the drums, press the pedal a few times, take it for a short drive, then adjust the handbrake cable.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Cheers Mr Cheerful

I think that is sort of what the mot bloke that failed it said.

I just wanted to be sure before i started you have reassured me. Thanks.....

Reply to
Capstick