Volvo hand brake

Hi all

When I set the hand brake the car will not move forward ..... obvious really

But it rolls gently backwards if on any sort of slope

Car is 1998 v70 with rear discs and drum hand brake

Will strip it tomorrow when I have time but any thoughts appreciated

Regards

Tony

Reply to
TMC

The message from "TMC" contains these words:

The rear shoes (which are trailing in forward movement, but leading when rolling backwards) aren't moving properly.

Reply to
Guy King

They're never much good, but the first thing to try is bedding in the shoes. Drive for a mile or so at town speeds with the handbrake just on.

If this doesn't work strip and check for seizing, etc. Disconnect the cables and adjust the shoes in the normal way - just rubbing and back off two clicks. Then reconnect the cables and make sure they are pulling evenly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most likely corrosion at that age, if the handbrake shoes haven't been checked before (unlikely if the discs have never been changed).

You'll also most likely find the shoe linings are starting to lift (they generally last about that long), so it may be worth treating the car to new shoes, disks and pads. The shoes is more a preventative thing, as you don't want the linings falling off.

Reply to
M Cuthill

Although I didnt have handbrake problems- was seized caliper sliders, i replaced disc;s, shoes and pads at 90k on our ex 850. The discs were rusted from lack of use really, squealing and the n/s was seized slightly on. and the whole things needed cleaning up and rebuilding. Shoes /pads looked original and were not anywhere near worn out.

The discs, pads, shoes, sliders and spring kit was under 60quid from ECP.

Our 98 S70 is going to need the same treatment at around 100k.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Tony