Weird air intake noise on 1.8 Fiat Bravo

Got a weird one - my 1998 1.8 Fiat Bravo makes a strange humming noise when ticking over, sounding very similar to someone blowing across the top of an empty milk bottle. The sound is coming from the air intake, and if you put your hand on the air filter housing you can feel the vibration. If you disconnect the idle control valve when the engine is running, the noise stops, so I thought it must be down to that - fitted another one, exact same problem!

Anyone got any ideas, before I dismantle the whole air intake?

Hellraiser.........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

Vibration in a tube - the way a trumpet or clarinet works. Your particular air intake seems to have the properties to produce the semblance of a musical note when air travels through it. Bending or twisting or in some way altering the shape of the inside may control it.

Rob Graham.

Reply to
Rob graham