what is the 15% in E85?

I imagine it is mostly heptane that the oil refineries want to get rid of. Perhaps some hexane or pentane for cold starts depending on season. Then some wanky "engine cleaner" additives?

Reply to
bruce56

The 15% is ethanol.

Reply to
italiancar

In E15, yes. But not in E85. There's a clue in the name.

Reply to
Adrian

Good call... I'm assuming the OP made the mistake I made when googling for the crap fuel that destroyed a seal on my MX5, causing it to dump a tank of unleaded in a car park.

I'd confused the percentages and thought the figure was a petrol figure, not ethanol figure.

Can you even buy E85?

Oh, it's a Yank / South American type of thing. Who cares?

Reply to
italiancar

Good point.

Just noticed the OP isn't from these parts, or even Europe.

I assumed he'd made the same mistake as I did when describing the crap fuel which caused my MX5 to dump a whole tank in a car park.

Reply to
italiancar

It's popular in Sweden, and exists in quite a few other EU countries, too.

Reply to
Adrian