Which small car is acceptable?

I don't mean space. Most cars are driven with one or two passenger, even big ones, so you don't really need a lot of space. The size of car is usually for making it more stable on the road, hence more comfortable and less tiring. But this can backfire since large mpv or 4x4 are less stable, hence more tiring. Unfortunately, motoring journalists are biased as they judge everything against a F1 car as a reference, hence they prefer twitchy steering and bone hard ride, even noisy exhaust; exactly the opposite of what is required. My reference is more towards e.g. Mercedes E class, although that is far too expensive. I find that French small cars are fairly good, as the french are somewhat laid back, this is reflected in their cars. The word "comfortable" easily translates into French. A surprise good car that I tested was Peugeot 207. Any suggestions?

Reply to
johannes

Perhaps this is a bit OT for this NG?

uk.rec.cars.misc might be more suitable.

Anyway, the frame of reference depends entirely on the definition of "acceptable", which is something that is very subjective.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'm far more comfortable in my Disco than I am in the family Laguna or Micra ... ;) Comfort is so subjective it's next to impossible to give a wrong (or right) answer!

I also found a Mondeo to be very comfortable, a Megane very uncomfortable, a peugeot 205 very comfortable and a BMW 525 uncomfortable! Citroen BX comfortable, Xantia uncomfortable.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:47:51 +0100, Paul - xxx boggled us with:

Hey! I find the Xantia much more comfortable than the BX. I've got relatively short legs and a long back though. I'm aware some find the Xantia seat base a bit short. I find the opposite.

Reply to
Mike P

I've found my Megane II pretty comfortable to sit in but extremely uncomfortable to own as it has cost me upto £3000 in repairs alone. It's an expensive lesson and mistake I'm never going to make again. It has put me off French cars for good regardless of how comfortable they may or may not be.

I know a lot of people who have found smaller cars like Clio's, 206's, etc more comfortable to sleep in than some bigger cars but thats' not why I'd buy a car. I think probably some of the comfiest to sit in would be Mercedes and Saab's. And as others have mentioned Mondeo is pretty comfortable too. If you want to know for sure in small car category the best way is to get yourself off around the showrooms and sitting in a bunch of different cars and see how it feels.

Reply to
John

John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't judge all cars by nationality alone. The few times I've had a close look at Renaults I've been very surprised by how agricultural some of the engineering is, compared to Peugeot/Citroens.

Reply to
Adrian

I shouldn't really but I think my experience with Megane II has permanently damaged my opinion of French cars. The only French cars I would consider looking at would be things like 206 or Clio but I'm not in the market for that size of car and even if I were then I think I would be looking at something like Ibiza, Swift, Fiesta instead. Not sure what you mean by agricultural but if you mean crap then I agree ;)

Reply to
John