Is a big car really much less economical than a small car?

In general terms, how much more expensive is it to run a biggish car (2.0 litre Mondeo) than a smaller car (Focus or Fiesta at 1.4 litre)?

The user is a low mileage user (4,000 miles annually). The cars would be about 4 to 6 years old.

Reply to
Don

There isn't much in the service costs; the Mondeo will be slightly more expensive for brakes, tyres, etc. simply because they're all bigger. Engine management is pretty much the same, like for like.

Typically there isn't much difference in fuel consumption, especially where driving is mostly long distance; in fact the Mondeo may well use less fuel on long high speed motorway runs.

For short local trips, especially where the engine is not likely to warm up, the Fiesta is a much better bet. It will warm up faster and, being lighter, will use less fuel in the cut and thrust of town driving.

So, logically, the Fiesta is a better bet. But, of course, you may consider the extra running costs outweighed by the better comfort, safety, status and performance of the Mondeo.

If you want the Mondeo, get it and just accept that it's going to be a little more expensive.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Get a big TDI and get the best of all worlds... ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

The 1.4 Focus should be ruled out straight away. Likewise the 1.25 Fiesta, unless the intended user is a young person who would benefit from lower insurance, and would enjoy revving the nuts off the thing all the time.

A larger engine in any car is usually a much more relaxing drive.

No. Any of them should have the coolant up to temperature in a couple of miles, and be fully warmed up in five miles. Their engine management strategies will all be similar, and the smaller cars may well be set in favour of economy, as that is what most buyers of them would want. The only caveat is that a diesel would take longer, but you would have to really like them to choose one for this low milage user!

No. Any reasonably recent modern car will cruise within its "power comfort zone" at 75 mph. (Although that would be illegal here of course.)

Yes, but if some/all of the time it was used in towns, the smaller car becomes easier to use/park etc.

No. In fact, depending on model, engine and transmission parts may well be identical. Doing such a low milage, some parts may need replacement long before they are worn out, and this will be marginally more expensive on the bigger car.

Only you can answer that!

Comparing the Mondeo with the Fiesta doesn't make much sense; the two vehicles were designed with totally different users in mind.

There is much less difference between the Mondeo and the Focus. In fact, the latest shape Focus is as wide as a Mark 2 Mondeo.

One thing you haven't mentioned is depreciation. This often overlooked cost is generally the most significant of any vehicle. It will be relatively insignificant on a six year old car, but less so on a four year old one. The Mondeo may well suffer most in this respect.

Unless your intended user is physically large, or needs to carry huge amounts of luggage, I would tend to recommend a 1.8 Focus. I'm very happy with my '99 one, owned from new.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Reading they guy's requirements I think you just found the worst possible option: slowest warm up; highest maintenance costs. Well done!

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Slowest Warm-Up? No - my TDI is showing normal running temperature by the time I get to the Main Road, 200 yards down my street.

Highest Maintenance? Again, no... No spark plugs, Ignition leads etc.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I don't believe there's be much in it, and Diesels do much better than Petrols with fuel economy when cold anyway...

In what way ?

I thought so, I was gonna suggest a large diesel myself :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

A bit of data for you: Mondeo 2.5 V6 Ghia X Period: 8.12.03 to Now (Was only 8 months from new) Mileage 4950/Yr Total Exp: £836.18 (Excludes costs: Tax - High/Ins -about £300/Depcn - who knows! 3000/yr) Consumption Long (200m) 28/30 gal Consumption Short(10m) 17/22 gal

Be prepared to chuck it away when finished.

Reply to
Rob

But typically have a heavier engine with greater oil and water capacity. The petrol engine warms up faster.

What makes the diesel better when cold, assuming multipoint injection?

Shorter service intervals, greater oil capacity.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

So what... a diesel doesn't need 'choke' as such when cold like a petrol does, hence it runs even more efficiently when cold than it does when warmed up, than the equivalent petrol.

Offset by vastly improved economy I think you'll find... especially if as per the OPs stated goals, he'll be doing lots of short journeys.

I thought so. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

In which case I'd suggest you compare the residuals of your Focus with that of an equivalent '99 Golf TDI...

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Paul Cummins was thinking very hard :

Diesels are much more efficient, and there is much less waste heat than better - therefore they take longer to warm up.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I reckon the bigger car could be cheaper as there are a glut of ex company one still

Reply to
Martin

Don brought next idea :

If it is only going to be on built up area runs I would suggest the smaller car, however if you can justify at least one longer run at out of town speeds, then I would go with the larger car. Smaller engines do warm up faster and are more suitable for built up areas and hence are more fuel economic, but if you can justify the extra comfort and capacity of a larger car.....?

Servicing wise - the bigger car will need slightly more expensive parts, but in my experience not quite so regularly as the smaller cars.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why the f*ck would I want to do that?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

What car of the 21st century has been fitted with a choke?

No, it doesn't.

There is no way on this earth that the increased purchase price and greater running costs of a modern diesel will ever be recovered in lower fuel costs by any car only doing 4,000 miles a year!

If the OP was looking for a car to cover 40,000 miles a year then a diesel may well be best.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Note 'choke' was in quotes...

A petrol equivalent still needs to run with a richer mixture when cold than when it's warmed up.

Yes it does - a cold diesel doesn't need a richened up mixture like a petrol does until its warmed up...

Except they're not looking to buy a new car, are they...

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

The message from Richard Polhill contains these words:

Not having to run rich. The timing is changed a little bit, but the effect on fuel consumption isn't nearly as dramatic as the richness a cold petrol engine needs.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk contains these words:

Er - no. They're not more efficient cold than when hot. They're more efficient cold than a cold petrol engine, but they're still better when they're hot. If this weren't the case, manufacturers wouldn't fit thermostats to diesels!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Ah - the joys of second hand cars. At £500 for an R-reg diesel Mondeo Ghia estate I'd be hard pushed to be bothered about the "extra" cost of a diesel!

Reply to
Guy King