Why does my Vectra run rough ?

Hi.... I have a vauxhall Vectra 1998 CDX and the thing is I have had the car for 6 months now and problems with the car are starting to creep in ! when I bought the car it was smoothe and tickety boo but after 1 month things started going wrong, I would start the car and a clicking noise was coming from the engine and it was very loud and would calm down after 2-3 mins of the car starting I dident know what it was so a local Mechanic changed the rocker gasket cover flushed the engine and treated the tappits with a special kind of oil ? 3 days later it came back ! my friend said it was the Cam belt so again it went back so to test it the Mechanic tested it without the cover on,bad move.. it flew off and wrapped itself round 6 valves in the engine and twisted them beyond recognition ! it got put all back together and replaced the valves and this got rid of the noise which was great but not on my pocket as now I had to pay for the gasket, 6 valves and a cam belt kit costing me over =A3465 in total . Now I have noticed the car seems to be running rough sounds weird but thats the only way I can explain it ! the engine sounds great when idle and is ok when pulling off but when travelling over 30MPH the ride feels rough and not smoothe like it is supposed to be like . When I first had the car it Ran smooth so has all these problems caused the car now to run rough ? I simply dont know ? The only way I can explain it is driving over a lightly gritted road ! by the way I also found a breather pipe that had broken off from the engine as well could this make it run rough ? any help would be appreciated many thanks ....

Reply to
Musherboom

machine also and nothing showed up on that at all said the car was fine ?

Reply to
Musherboom

Rough*ly*. :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Sack the mechanic.

Dr. Bizarro

Reply to
Dr. Bizarro

Why spend so much on a car worth so little?

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Valve timing? Seeing as your mechanic doesn't sound exactly competent. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

because unlike you I dont have money to burn ! and I wanted serious comments from people not sarcasim !!!

Reply to
Musherboom

Thanks for the Sarcasim !! But it dosent change the fact that my car is still running rough does it ?? Dohhhh

Reply to
Musherboom

Thanks for the response I will look into it , Cheers

Reply to
Musherboom

I didn't mean buy a dearer car, I am saying the repair bill is money down the drain compared to the value of the car. With a car this age and value you need to learn how to diagnose and fix it yourself or forget it and hope for best. Providing the important bits like tyres, brakes, steering, are ok, just drive it. Having all the work done at massive cost has no doubt caused the problems. The original clicking noise was probably a sticking tappet or some minor valve/engine problem with many 1000's of miles left in it. Take it from one who has always run cars costing well below £500, that its best to leave well alone and save the money for essentials like tyres, brakes etc. My 16 year old engine has been tapping away happily since last September after a few long motorway trips taxed it slightly. It will almost certainly last a long time yet and if I don't replace it out of boredom, will probably still be running in 4 years time with little more attention than an oil change and new plugs now and then.

Oh, and you need to check what sarcasim is. So far I've not seen a sniff of it in any of the replies.

-- bucket

Reply to
bucket

Look...in your 1st post what advice did you give me ? None ! I need to spend money to get it right as I dont have the funds for a new car .As for you jumping the gun , for you to make a comment like that is bad, I dont spend 10 mins writing on here to get comments back like the 1 you made .If you dont know what sarcasim is look it up in a dictionary! it comes in many forms and you displayed one of those forms . Anyway im not into petit tit for tat I just want answer's to my question's, the only person on here so far to give me some good advice is Mike .

Reply to
Musherboom

Reply to
Musherboom

Musherboom ( snipped-for-privacy@dragonmantis.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You really know how to win friends and influence people, don'cha?

Reply to
Adrian

I tried that and couldn't find it. Maybe you meant sarcasm.? :-)

Tis the nature of usenet I'm afraid. Nine tines out of ten even if you get useful answers, you'll also get advice or replies to unasked questions. Some are patronising, occasionally insulting, but most try to be helpful even if their advice or answer is not wanted. Take my answer frinstance. You didn't ask for it, but I made a comment about the competence of your machanic. Best to either ignore the unwanted replies, or answer them in the spirit in which they were given. Without any aggro. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G