WHY OH WHY??

Why oh why do people insist on using cheap shit motorfactor rocker=20 cover gaskets?

My mate decided to do me a favour and adjust the tapets on my Capri.=20 Told him to wait as it was Sunday and I hadn't a rocker cover gasket.=20 So he wades in anyway and gets one from local motorfactors...=A32.70 I told him not to bother as they always leak. Anyway he wouldn't listen=20 so the 30p saved over the genuine Ford one has now ended up costing an=20 extra =A320 for a genuine one plus the gallon of oil that pissed out of=20 the engine over 50 miles.

--=20 Conor

If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything=20 worthwhile.

Reply to
Conor

I'd say there's a good chance one from a decent motor factor will be identical to the Ford one, since I'd be surprised if they made their own.

Is there an obvious difference between the two? One made of cork - the other rubber?

With cork gaskets, I usually glue them to the rocker cover with Evostick impact, then just a smear of grease on the head side, and don't overtighten. Shouldn't need changing next time you set the tappets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

My mate decided to do me a favour and adjust the tapets on my Capri. Told him to wait as it was Sunday and I hadn't a rocker cover gasket. So he wades in anyway and gets one from local motorfactors...£2.70 I told him not to bother as they always leak. Anyway he wouldn't listen so the 30p saved over the genuine Ford one has now ended up costing an extra £20 for a genuine one plus the gallon of oil that pissed out of the engine over 50 miles.

-- If it's done that in 50 miles it isn't a gasket issue, he's left the rocker cover off

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

& if you haven't overtightened the rocker cover (a fairly common occurence on Capris) it won't leak with the cheap one.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I bet the main stealers use cheap shit stuff when they can get away with it. Hows about bodywork repairs ... they provide a quote to the insurance company for "bmw" sourced parts, yet order them from eurocarparts for the actual repairs. Money in pocket for the main stealers.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Big difference. One is slightly thicker than the other and of better quality cork.

Pretty much the same as both my mate and myself do. I've seen so many split from overtightening.

Reply to
Conor

THe gallon was maybe an overexaggeration but there's no oil on the dipstick. Its pretty much pouring out of the back where they usually do.

Ah well. Got a new one and its sorted now.

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

I've always glued 'em to the cover with Hermetitie red sealant - the non-setting pasty stuff.

Reply to
Guy King

YOur insurance company normally likes to hear about that :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I tried using that to fix a griffin badge back onto the bonnet of my Carlton. It didn't work.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Depends what you're after.

I was thinking more of body panels and lights/bumpers/etc.

The last time i got an oil filter from bmw main dealer, it cost £4.25. Cheaper than a champion one from halfords. Its a shame the goon behind the bmw counter handed me a filter that was wrong .... i ended up fitting a halfords filter after all. (I wasn't going to drive another 52 miles for a replacement!!).

Reply to
FEo2 Welder