Shell Helix?

Hello,

Apparently my car uses Shell Helix Oil, I have never seen this in the shops. Anyone know how much it is and where to obtain it? I don't want to be suffering from shock if I go into a Vauxhall dealer and find it's about £10/litre or something.

Geoff.

Reply to
AM200

Don't suppose you've tried a Shell garage? What's important is that you get the correct grade (e.g. 10w40, 5w30 etc). Any good brand will do - doesn't have to be shell.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't tried a Shell Garage yet as there isn't one around here. I'll have a drive about ! I am just amazed by the difference in price between oils that appear to be the same. I could pay £20 in Halfords but £40 in a main dealer.

Geoff.

Reply to
AM200

DEpendent on which Shell Helix you need it might not be far off that, what car, which grade?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Don't think Halfords stock Shell oil, at least the 2 branches that I tried didn't. I went to a Shell garage and they have it all :) As others have said you haven't specified which grade - Shell (and most others) don't do that many types - Shell have Plus, Super, Ultra etc. Plus is 10w40 semi-synthetic, and cost £21 for 4.5 litres.

Reply to
Johnny

Think yourself lucky you don't have a Beemer or Merc. You could pay upwards of £80 for the same oil you'd get elsewhere for £15...

Reply to
Lordy

And the price of semi and full synthetic oils are easily made up for in the fact that your car will go much further before it wears out! I'd use nothing less.

Adam H

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Selenia, as recommended for Alfas - £12.50 upwards / litre

or, even worse, Repsol for the bike, as recommended by Honda dealers at £25 / litre. Me, I put any decent quality semi-synth in there. (Usually Halford's own brand)

Reply to
SteveH

Only if you're daft enough to buy it from the dealer. Even if they're servicing it, you could always take your own oil in and insist that they use it. Stops them charging you the 500% markup on their own stuff.

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu

dealer and

For use with GM ECOservice fixed mileage service or ECOservice-Flex variable service schedules, then oil meeting GM LL A 025 for petrol and GM LL B 025 for diesel is needed. This will provide a safe 15,000 to 30,000 mile service interval depending on engine, schedule, driving style etc. Anything less and 10,000 mile service intervals should be used to provide a safety margin.

The above specification can be safely compared and probably substituted by synthetic oils that meet or exceed mb229.3 specification. Not any old synthetic oil mind you!

As someone has said, you can use your own oil for services. Mobil 1 of

0w/40 viscosity [and no other viscosity in this brand] meets all your needs as will similar oils from many other blenders. Just read the can for GM specifications if in doubt.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Halfrauds have there own fully synthetic at 2 for one this week.

George.

Reply to
George Gosbee

That is all very well, but does it meet GM LL A 025 for petrol and GM LL B 025 for diesel? If it does not, then it is likely to be not good enough. Just being synthetic is NOT good enough.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Guy at halfords told me its made by Esso and the same quality, I get mine in France 50% cheaper than Halfords but its Shell or Total Quartz

Reply to
john374999

Brand is unimportant. That it meets the required specification is all important. Price is secondary to spec and varies in importance according to the customer.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Dunno, but it usually sells for £29.99 for 5l (eek!).

I was tempted to buy 2 lots for my Zetec (the only stuff on offer is 5w-40) but plumped for a set of "Professional" ratchet spanners at half price (£35) ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

You get Shell Helix oil from Shell forecourts!

My own Shell forecourt sells it alongside the Vauxhall stuff. Both are similar quality but the Vauxhall stuff is cheaper.

Reply to
Alan

I don't wish to appear flippant, but, how the hell does he know?

( people in shops tell lies to make you buy things.... be more cynical)

That said it may well be Esso stuff,

Doesn't mean it's the same spec. as the Esso oils. Kellogg's make cereal for home brands, doesn't mean it's got the same nutritional value, nor tastes the same.

Just my tu'penneth worth..

Incidentally my car has something that was OK and "middle of the road - in spec for my car" from the local General Traffic outlet. About £12 for 5ltr iirc...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Eeeeek. Local Motor Factor 6 weeks ago £34 for 20 litres Helix Plus. Wish I'd bought several... Ian

Reply to
Ian