2004 MSM

So I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata, and now I need to sell the 97 NA...

But I wanted to ask some other MSM owners a few questions...to start off, have you had any problems? Mine has 52,000 miles on it, was a lease vehicle so I think it was dealer maintained. The only thing I have noted thus far is that the intake boot, the one that comes from the intercooler and then makes the 90 degree bend into the throttle body, was pulled back from the 'lip' on the throttle body. It was not sitting flush with the throttle body case. It did not come off, but it was not on all the way. I had to squeeze one of the spring clamps below the throttle body, pull the whole elbow piece up a shade, and then it pushed onto the throttle body no problem and I tightened the clamp.

Idle quality...it's a bit rough, harshness-wise. It's rougher than the

1997 NA. anyway..is that normal? It holds the idle speed okay. Once you get off idle and start driving it is smooth all the way....

The other thing I've noted, the turbo doesn't seem to come on until about 3500-4000rpm, but once it does, it comes on -fast-. I mean at WOT you're bouncing off the revlimiter before you can blink twice kind of fast. But if you are a bit more...relaxed.....it comes on a little more smoothly and you can hit 2nd without a problem...but then when you go from 2nd, near redline, to 3rd...it almost feels like it sags a little before it comes back on again...normal? This is my first turbo car so I don't know....

Also..all these vacuum lines under the hood are maddening. Some go - through- the strut brace, I see at least 4 solenoids, one or two one- way valves, and under the intake above the alternator something that looks like a dashpot...ugh. Add to that the tiny little lines that connect from one place to another on the intake.....I'm in over my head in terms of grasping the big picture. I've done clutches, timing belts, water pumps, and so on. I did the water pump, all hoses, belts, timing belt, CAS o-ring, and so on on the 1997....and it was pretty easy all things considered, if not a bit time consuming. But I think I need to buy the factory service manuals post-haste and start reading...I have an idea this MSM thing is going to be a bit maintenance intensive...

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Warning: stay away from the Flyin' Miata website. Especially this page:

Lanny Chambers

Don't bother, those losers don't even offer a HUGE TAK!

BTW, anyone have the original ad with the HUGE TAK?

Reply to
XS11E

page:

I've ordered some parts in the past from those guys and they are just top-notch. In fact, some lady from FlyinMiata called me about 2 weeks after my last order was delivered, and asked if everything was okay...how's that for customer service.

I'd definitely use them again.....if I can scare up some more cash for some more zoom-zoom. I already looked at the MSM upgrades and my wallet is getting really nervous....

Chris

Reply to
Hal

All hope abandon, ye who enter here.

:-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Pat surely saved the ad that included the HUGE TAK! If he didn't I'll be surprised and disappointed ;-) Sometimes you just don't realize what you've got when you've got it!

Chris

99BBB NA all the way :-)
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Unfortunately, I do not have the original ad saved with pictures, but here are the highlights of that 1992 turbo Miata with all of the original spelling and grammar errors.....

Highlights:

Huge Inter cooler Wing (It help out with donw force around 160mph) Runs like a camp includes wheels, paint & tires Has all recipes HUGE TAK EVER ONE LOOKS AT THE CAR AND POINTS!!! EVERONE LOVES HER!!!!! "The car is FAST FAST ANF YUP FERIOUS!!!!! '" car will go fast please NO low balls

This information is on Google for all to see, just type in, "Miata Austin Huge Tak". It is pretty funny. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Please forgive the error, that was, of course, "HUGE TAK!" The exclamation point is very necessary here.

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's good. We wouldn't want our huge inter to get hot.

Is Don W. one of John's relatives?

Boot? Summer? Death?

Pretty generous to let the paint go with the car.

This is how we justify the purchase to our wives.

'Nuff said.

Not with a 10-foot pole would I touch that.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I've had my 2004 MSM for about a little over three years and have had very little trouble with it. The battery sprung a leak and ruined the plastic tray it sits on. Not that big a deal.

The only big issue I've had is that the stock 17" wheels are not particularly durable--I knocked two of them out of round one day on a road that was being resurfaced, so the manhole covers were sticking up an inch or so. Based on a tip here I picked up a set of 16" Rota wheels. They're inexpensive, and the Slipstreams I bought are more than 3 lbs lighter than the stock 17" Racing Hart wheels. You can really notice the difference in ride and general tossability. If your tires become non-round I highly recommend these wheels.

Carbon

I have to give the seller some credit. This posting was well over a year ago, maybe more than 2 years, and it is still good for a laugh or two.

What is kind of sad is that a lot of effort and some decent money went into that Miata. New wheels and removal of the wing, and it might have been a decent car.

One downside of the wing removal is that it would no longer have "donw" force at that frequently-achieved speed of 160mph.

The engine compartment and the engine/turbo system was cleaner-looking than mine has ever been while I have owned it. That Miata received a lot of washing if nothing else.

Of course, the HUGE TAK! would have been left in place as the main feature of the car. Well, that, and the paint which he generously included rather than sandblast the car..... ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I bought my 2004 MSM new in Dec. 2004, so it is approaching 5 years and about 75k miles. I have not had any problem with it other than the wheels as was mentioned by someone else. I just had one of my wheels straightened but next time I will just replace the set. I had just bought tires this summer so I didn't want to have to start over. I live near Mooresville NC so there are a lot of specialty shops around here that work on cars. I did the complete exhaust system from the header back and the complete intake system from FM and I love it! Besides the much better sound, the performance is notably different. I have not put it on a dyno but I am told it should be about 200 rwhp. The intake kit replaces that rubber elbow you mentioned, as well as a much beefier blowoff valve. Mine vents to atmosphere so you can definately hear it, some folks may not like that but FM has a version that vents back to the intake. I still plan to replace the intercooler with an FM version as the stock one is quite small, I've been waiting for an excuse like a big rock in the fins or something...

The only issue I've had is to replace the shift boots but that is normal for the age of the car. I like to drive the car on the twisties and did an autocross once, but otherwise it is a daily driver and I have not had any issues. I did try changing my transmission oil to a Amsoil synthetic and had nothing but problems; notchy shifting, etc. so I don't recommend using that brand. My previous Miata was a '99 Sport which also had the limited slip differential but with a 5- speed, and the shifting was much smoother than the 6-speed in the MSM. The turbo does take a little getting used to, and the rpm/ redline you describe sounds normal to me. I was running up to the rev limiter all the time when I first drove it, but you get used to it and how to shift/accelerate quickly.

I think you will enjoy it once you get used to the difference. Some people like the MSM, some do not. I'm sure you'll get other opinions here, so take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride!

Tom '04 MSM

Reply to
Tom

Pat wrote; One downside of the wing removal is that it would no longer have "donw" force at that frequently-achieved speed of 160mph.

I'd like to correct his pour gramer, Ime shure he ment something mour like this;

One donwside of the wing removal ........... ok, I'll stop!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo