34milesPerGallon SanDiego2LosAngeles Under80mph

Unfortunately for that idea, here in Pennsylvania if the road is not posted with a speed limit, the speed limit is deemed to be 35 mph and you *will* get a ticket if you get caught going faster than that.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

To continue this pointless exchange:

Yes, you say rarely....rarely isn't never. Thus, it is in fact a speed limit, an open ended one and it is never entirely up to the driver to make the call rather the Cop makes the call or doesn't at their discretion.

As to the unsafe driving ...that is immaterial as it would/could bring on involvement whether there is a posted or not posted limit.

In the part of the country I live in ....any open road that isn't posted is considered to have a 55 mph speed limit...if the limit is more it's posted and if it less it is posted.

As to rarely's...rarely will they bother you if you are within a certain unwritten acceptable variation of the limit be it above or below when it involves speed alone. That doesn't change the fact there is a speed limit be it posted or not.

Probably the best way to find out and be sure would be to check the State Vehicle Code of whichever State one is driving in.

Reply to
Tex

"Iva" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

It's 25mph in a park:

§ 11.207. Traffic and parking. (a) Traffic. The following are prohibited:

(1) Operation of a vehicle on a State park road at a speed in excess of the posted limit or, where no speed limit is posted, in excess of 25 miles per hour.

And state forest land:

(b) Operation of motor vehicles on State Forest land in the following manners is prohibited:

(1) Operation of a motor vehicle in careless disregard for the safety of persons or property, or in excess of posted speed limits or, where no speed limit is posted, in excess of 25 miles per hour.

I can't find anything in the statutes that limits speed to 35mph if not posted, do you have a cite?

Reply to
XS11E

Tex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, your definitions of "speed limit" seems to be unique to you. ===============================================================Speed limit n. The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.

Speed limit n : regulation establishing the top speed permitted on a given road ================================================================= If no maximum speed is established by statute, there is no speed limit. "Reasonable and prudent" is NOT a speed limit by definition.

Correct.

Reply to
XS11E

Thus I wasn't up to date...

There's a distinction between highways as two lanes and divides....

I don't have definitions of my own....I just don't believe because it's not posted there are no limits on speed...I know the state I live in posted or not there are limits.

(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

Like I said ...pointless...and the prize ain't worth winning anyway.

Reply to
Tex

Tex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It depends on the state.

Your state has speed limits, posted or not. Other states do not.

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote in news:Xns98113DF1FDE7xs11eyahoocom@70.168.83.30:

and I see we now have abandoned the "reasonable and prudent" and replaced that with a maximum of 85mph. Hmmmmm, it could be that there aren't any states left w/o speed limits, I'll have to check some others.

Reply to
XS11E

Tex

Way I read it most of the reasonable and prudent states still have it...along with some max provision too.

Was interesting (at least to me) reading:

"All 50 states use three basic types of speed limits, called "absolute," "presumed," and "basic."

When reading this it really explained to me how little one can rely on posted or not speed limits.

Reply to
Tex

Oh' great... Just another piece o' paper to carry when I'm roadin...

Reply to
Remove This

Hell...don't worry about it. Now I have to get rid of my miata and buy and 18 wheeler just to hall around the 50 State Vehicle Codes....actually there are so many laws and variations when it comes to driving it's almost enough to make one think about just walking.

Reply to
Tex

Ok. And they didn't specify "automobiles" so that also includes motorcycles, trucks... airplanes, atomic particles, meteorites... they're going to be writing a lot of tickets.

Ok, there you go... you can go faster as long as you're not driving the vehicle. Get a good alignment and a cruise control and you're all set.

miker

Reply to
miker

Let me get back to you on that. I just got home after spending two days doing a driving course at Pocono Raceway in 95+ degree and at least 80% humidity weather so my brain is a little toasted right now.