34milesPerGallon SanDiego2LosAngeles Under80mph

04 Miata, no engine or wheel modificaitons Tried some new stuff the last 2 days: 1=new plugs, autolite double platinum $4each vs Iridium 2=removed Air Filter U Shaped Throat thing 30Lbs per tire cold 4= Kept RPM under 4000 = Less than 80 Miles Per Hour
Reply to
RepoRealEstateInvestor

RepoRealEstateInvestor

Reply to
RepoRealEstateInvestor

Reply to
RepoRealEstateInvestor

OK, but why? What is the sense buying a sports car that happily revs to 7K & sits happily all day on 65MPH, then drive slowly. Why not just by a Hyundai accent or similar in the frst place?

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Couldn't agree more. I have a '04 'speed with a few minor modifications and when I do check I seem to average about 30 or so. But I do not drive it for economy, no do I drive it like an economy car! I drive the 'speed for fun, and would rather be on the top side of 80 that on the bottom. The most valuable option that I put on the car is my radar detector!!

Steve

Reply to
mazdaspeeder

Well Mal, I guess you could put the car in 2nd or 3rd and run it all day at 7,000 RPM ! I don't know about how or where you learned to drive, but here in Washington state USA, the state and cities put up speed LIMIT signs for people to drive by. (NOT just because they didn't have any thing else to do that day. ) There is a time and place to drive like hell, but off the autocross or track just "ain't the place to do it!" The state and our insurance Co.'s don't like those tickets for doing 10, 20, or 60 miles an hour over the posted speed "LIMIT" ( read here, the MAX speed! ) The state just this last week clocked (by aircraft) two jerks on bikes at 113 MPH and 104 MPH on I-90. (They are still looking for the keys to let them out of jail) If you stii need to beat the crap out of your car all day, go find a track and have at it !

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

So you'll buy a second car for economy? I assume you're not interested in wasting gas needlessly... would you still like your Miata if it used several gallons per mile?

No reason a car can't be both, and checking the Miata's limits are just part of determining the efficiency of the machine. That's fun too. I find it kind of nice to get good highway mileage in the fun car without having to buy a second vehicle.

miker

Reply to
miker

Not all roads in Australia (or Europe) have speed limits. Hope you are happy in the "land of the free"!

Reply to
Mal Osborne

Yes, I am Very happy in the "land of the free" ( you should have added, "and the home of the brave") :-) I would love to see you going 7,000 RPM all day in the land "down under". How fast are you going when you do that? Now that would be a real hoot ! :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

"Mal Osborne" wrote in news:44c4d7fe$ snipped-for-privacy@quokka.wn.com.au:

Not all roads in the US have speed limits.

Reply to
XS11E

Explain what roads do not?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It was my understanding there were roads in the US that didn't have speed limits....then along came 55 ...some places ignored such and still didn't have limits...Then Big Bro said you ain't got limits you don't get Fed $$$$...So roads started having limits...some enforced more than others but limits never the same.

I could be wrong ... that's how I recall it...but my brain is dying at a faster rate these days.

Reply to
Tex

Since the speed limits were forced upon the US by the federal government as a "fuel conservation" measure, Montana used to have only fuel-conservation violations. However, then a judge ruled that their "safe and reasonable" speed was unconstitutionally vague, and they put speed limits on all roads.

75 mph, typically, the last time I was there.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Any unposted road. The law here is "reasonable and proper unless otherwise posted" and a very large number of states follow that rule.

Reply to
XS11E

That is in itself a speed limit.

Reply to
Tex

Tex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No.

Reply to
XS11E

Yes.

Even more so than a posted one too. Because it's entirely up to law enforement to make the call.

Reply to
Tex

RepoRealEstateInvestor wrote: >

That's pretty impressive. The best I ever got in my old '93 with the

1.6 was a little over 31, and that was on a couple of long highway trips going no faster than 70 (but with the top down, which I've read runs the aero drag way up at that speed). The '99 with the 1.8 I've driven for three months averages only 27.5, but that's been mostly in lousy mileage conditions: vile hot weather, running the A/C most of the time, and almost all of those miles either in disgusting stop-n-go freeway crush averaging 15-20 MPH or blasting across the bridges at 80 MPH.

In terms of getting a little more efficiency relatively cheaply, your K&N air filter sounds interesting. Does anybody have any experience with them? I like the performance boost but I wouldn't want to let dirt into my engine, since I plan on driving this car to 200,000 miles or my next encounter with an inebriated truck driver, whichever comes first.

Leon van Dommelen wrote: >

All the ones the cops aren't patrolling right now.

Say, any of you all feel like your wallet's a little heavy right now? Need some help lightening it some? Here's one way: Take your car in to get an oil change. Have them call you and offer to rotate your tires; say "OK." Let the mechanic rotate your directional radials (with big arrows labeled "direction of rotation" embossed on the sides of the tires) from left to right. Stupidly assume that nobody rotates radials from left to right; don't check them when you pick the car up. Jump in the car and haul ass down the Interstate for twenty-five miles at 75-80 MPH. Presto! Next thing you know, whenever you get above about 60 MPH the steering wheel shudders like it's about to fall off, so you now have to take your car to the tire shop _right away_ to get new skins. Ah yes, spare cash is _such_ a burden, thanks a bunch! On the plus side, I've got brand-new T1-Rs and an alignment. What an improvement, especially in the rain!

Yours WDK - snipped-for-privacy@ij.net

Reply to
W. Kiernan

Tex wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, not at all because it's entirely up to YOU to make the call, law enforcement becomes involved only if you're driving in an unsafe manner such as weaving through traffic, tailgating,etc. They rarely bother anyone for speed alone.

Reply to
XS11E