four wheels came off?

Took Bess to AutoX today. There was an RX-7 from which on one of the first turns all four wheels came off. Presumably nut lugs that seemed to screw on OK, but that I think did not quite have the right thread. I am guessing they rested on just the edges of the thread, and when torqued down, were ready to pop off at the smallest provocation. Still, *20* at one time? Is it a record?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Now that _would_ be exciting. I've seen a full-sized Jeep Wagoneer lose both rear wheels at one time when the driver went way too fast over a whoop-de-do on the Alaska highway up in the Yukon Territory with far too much weight in the rear. Sheared off the studs completely. I gave the uninjured driver a ride to the next real town (Whitehorse IIRC) in my VW where he was told that getting his vehicle hauled in, obtaining replacement parts, and performing the repairs would take a week and cost a huge amount of money. I left him there and drove on, a bit chastened and moving far more sedately.

Reply to
John McGaw

Still, *20* at one time? Is it a record?

I think even for an RX-7, that's got to be a record ;-) Sorry Felix!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

LOL... film @ 11.. I can only hope it makes youtube

Reply to
Remove This

That is kind of cool. The next time someone says, "The wheels are falling off," this driver can pull rank from actually having done it.

Did it oversteer or understeer?

Reply to
earache

Nobody was taping it. Of course, the owner was not too happy; extensive plate damage to the car from wheels sliding past.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Don't know. I was at a worker position way out, and my eyes were not good enough to see it. I only knew the wheels had come off when the guy next to me told me so.

But I would assume it had severe understeer. Or else why would the wheels come off at both sides? The way I would estimate the dynamics is:

1) Inside wheels pulled off. (Should have bought a VW Golf: rear wheel would have been saved by being in the air.) 2) Friction of iron-asphalt being less than rubber-asphalt, a moment results around the center of gravity that causes the wheel-less side to advance beyond the wheel-bearing side, producing a rotation of the car attitude compared to direction of motion. (I do not, at this time, know whether the driver was trying to steer into the turn, but the way I see it, no driver steering input was likely to reduce the iron-side advantage over the rubber-side resistance. The driver may even have tried to apply the brakes.) 3) The wheels are now "behind the motion" (or to be precise, the velocity component normal to the plane of the remaining wheels is now directed towards the car instead of away from it,) causing the remaining wheels to be pulled off too. 4) Performance is reduced to the stage of "this RX-7 is going nowhere fast."

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Here is the vid of this.