Fuel Economy

I suspect that no reasonable person would consider a new MX-5 to be an economy car or give the fuel economy a huge role in the decision to buy one but I thought that this might be of interest. Immediately after getting my "break in" miles put in on my '06 Sport with handling option done I drove up to Pennsylvania to visit my mother over Easter. The mileage between here and there is virtually all interstate -- just short of 500 FWIW.

I knew what sort of economy my '91 Miata had consistently achieved on the same trip and expected the new one to get just a bit worse or, with luck, to achieve the same. Here is what happened on four fillups that were on the interstate mostly at 70-75 under cruise control: 32.0, 33.9,

35.1, and 32.7 MPG. I was truly shocked by those results but calculation of the overall consumption since delivery, including 1,800 miles of city, suburban, and interstate driving shows that it has been getting 30.7 MPG. I realize that the four interstate legs might be skewed by the imprecision of how consistently I was able to fill the tank each time but the overall figure should be relatively accurate.

BTW: the interstate miles were done with 30psi in the Michelin tires rather than the recommended 29psi but I don't know how much that might have affected the economy.

Reply to
John McGaw

John,

I'm new to Miata's myself, but a lot has happened to cars since 1991. Now that absolutely everything is controlled by computer, and with more efficient engine and transmission design as well as making the aerodynamics more slippery, more consistant fuel economy should be the norm. Also remember your new car has a higher compression engine that needs higher octane fuel, so consider yourself lucky that you are on the high side of the EPA estimates!!

I have only run three tanks through my 2001, but I have been impressed, getting ~30 mpg with my daily commute. But you win some & lose some - my new Honda Ridgeline rated at 16/21 mpg, so far has yet to crack 17 even on the highway. But with only 1500 miles on it, it still needs to be broken in a bit more.

Boreal

2001 LS Silver/Tan

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

John, that's good news on the mileage and of course these days, well you know, it's appreciated even more right?

I don't think you mentioned what your old NA got on that similar trip. I'm guessing 25 mpg, how close am I?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I've been getting anywhere from 24 to 28 mpg with my 2006 MX-5. I get the 24 if almost all driving is stop/go and 28 if about 1/3 of the driving is cruising on the interstate.

Reply to
Fabiano

My '02 SE gets 22-ish combined around town + highway. I got 28+ on a road trip recently.

Oh, my SE is running 6psi or so boost.

Dana

Reply to
Dana H. Myers

I realized after posting that I hadn't actually stated with the '91 got on the trip. It actually got in the 30-31 range over the identical interstate route under the same conditions. Of course that was a lighter vehicle with no AC and I wasn't likely to make it too bloody often in the heat of summer when the interior felt like a convection oven. AC makes all the difference in the world sometimes.

I made up my mind right away to slip down a notch from the "recommended" fuel for the long consistent cruising sort of trip and filled with 89 octane fuel. I'll continue filling with the good stuff for driving where I'm likely to want every last bit of power.

Reply to
John McGaw

:)

I had a 94 midsize that needed premium, got 20mpg on a good day, and had

110M on it. Radiator needed replacing, AC was broken, tires had mysterious random slow leaks, muffler ready to fall off, and the fuel injection computer would act up on cold mornings.

For $3000 I traded on a 96 Miata with 45M and no issues that gets high 20's around town on regular. It would have cost me close to $2000 just to keep the other car going!

There's a lot to like about the Miata (including the way no one needs you to drive them to the airport anymore :) but for me the economy was an important part.

miker

Reply to
miker

That sounds about average for a Mk1 1.8 in the same circumstances. I got 34mpg over the winter here in the UK, which is about the same allowing for our larger gallons. I'd expect it to improve by 2mpg or so in summer as the warm-up period is shorter and the fuel blend is different.

MX-5s/Miatas have never been economical cars given their small size and weight. The engine is highly tuned (and runs quite rich at over

4000rpm) and the Cd is poor.
Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

I'm getting between 27.5 and 28.5 in combinded city and SoCal freeway driving. Remember that SoCal has "taffic from hell" freeways. I have '06 MX-5.

Reply to
Cameraman