Headlight leak in '99 Miata

My 99 has always been garaged, until lately. I live in San Diego where it hardly rains and have never noticed moisture inside my headlight lens, until now. The car has been parked in the driveway for several months, we've had some rain and now water has condensed inside the driver-side lens; I can see no leak. I've parked the car in the sunshine and popped the rubber seal off the inside to hopefully let the water evaporate, but to no avail. Although I'm sure I can get the water out, can someone tell me how this likely happened. I have no cracks in the lens and the seals look good. Any ideas would be welcomed.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick Cook

Just drive it with the headlights on. That will heat the headlight and the water will evaporate. The problem of condensation will occur with any closed space when something is left outdoors during periods of wet cold weather.

Reply to
lgadbois

Had this on another car and couldn't sort it until I got really keen. Removed headlight and blocked opennings with duct tape. I then submerged in water and blew air in via a tube. Its amazing how such a small hole could let in enough water to be a problem.

Reply to
J Brockley

Reply to
Rick Cook

Good idea. Removal of the lamp unit looks to be a bit tough so I'll try to do it on the car. I can remove the seal and bulb, duct tape the openings and blow in pressurized air. I'll have to either listen for the leak or sponge on some soapy water. Thanks for the reply and idea. -Rick

Reply to
Rick Cook

Its probably on the upper seam as it got to be somewhere where water and air pressure can combine to get in.

Reply to
J Brockley

Is that where you found your leak? Yesterday I took the rubber seal and bulb off, then duct-taped the bulb opening. I punched a small hole in the tape and pressed a compressed air nozzle into the hole. Strangely the tape did not expand nor did I hear any air escaping. I then dried out the housing with a hair-drier, blew it out with compressed air and put everything back. Although it's moisture-free now, I haven't driven it in the rain. After reading your latest I did look at the upper seam and it does look suspicious. It is covered with a rubber seal of sorts but water easily gets under it as it is exposed to the elements at the front of the car. When the weather clears here in SD I'll seal the seam and call it good. Anyway, the car will probably have a new owner by the time it rains again in SoCal; last year I bought a Z-4. Thank you JSB. -Rick

Reply to
Rick Cook

Yes it was in the top seam which was really the only seam exposed to direct wind when the car was moving. In my case it wasn't enough just to blow air in as the hole wasn't big enough to hear or see any air leaking out. It was just a slow bubble under water and I suppose going the other way it would only take one drop every couple of miles to be a problem..

Reply to
J Brockley