How best to teach my daughter to drive a Miata

99% of people in the UK learn to drive on a manual car, mainly because if you pass the test on an auto, you're only ever allowed to drive an auto. In fact, automatic gearboxes - except on large executive cars - have never been very popular over here, even when sold for no price premium. It's a perceived "control" thing.

The main thing to remember is that you don't have to let the clutch all the way out, all at once. I used to stall the car constantly before the instructor explained this to me. The second thing, most important for hill starts, is to allow the car to "sit up" on its suspension before you release the handbrake.

In terms of good practice, NEVER use the clutch and throttle to hold the car on hills, put the gearbox into neutral and take your foot off the clutch when waiting for more than a couple of seconds at lights, and learn to use the "dead pedal" (footrest) when not changing gear, rather than riding the clutch. You know all this but she doesn't.

As for double-declutching when changing down...well, it's just for show on a modern car, although the weak synchro on an NA gearbox means it occasionally helps you go from 2nd to 1st when the gear oil is cold.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

That might be a valid learning technique, but it's a very bad driving technique; even if you don't mind buying a new clutch occasionally, there's a big risk of rolling into the car behind if the engine stalls.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

When I teach someone to use a clutch, I tell him to let the pedal out until he can feel the drivetrain load up, then hold the pedal there until he hears the gears start to whine. At that point, the clutch is fully engaged, and can be released. Modern clutches manage the transition on their own, if the engine rpm isn't excessive.

Of course. I was only suggesting it as a learning technique to build confidence, and only on a slope just steep enough to make the car roll backward. Still, a few thousand miles' worth of extra clutch wear is a cheap price for a lifetime of confidence.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Actually, the clutch lasted another couple of years. It was the headgasket that went courtesy a faulty thermostat.

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

Reply to
L Bader

Tell her its best to drive topless.

Reply to
news

The only real shock I had was that if you put your foot down ina low gear something funny happens to the back (especially in the rain :-) )

I was used to bigger boring cars and forgot real driving

Reply to
noggin